• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winter sketching (1 Viewer)

jomo

I popped down to Burlington Canal today for a few hours with the scores of Long-tailed Ducks that winter along the pier. I've always considered the elements to be just part of the challenge of field sketching, but a few minutes of numbing wind off the lake and holding a pencil starts to get cumbersome!

I don't typically wear gloves while drawing, as I find I lose a lot of fine control, but I think I'll have to look around for something that'll keep my hands warm without impeding the handling of my pencil. So I was wondering -- do any of you wear gloves while you sketch? Do you find fingerless mitts any better, or maybe leather gloves?

jomo said:
I popped down to Burlington Canal today for a few hours with the scores of Long-tailed Ducks that winter along the pier. I've always considered the elements to be just part of the challenge of field sketching, but a few minutes of numbing wind off the lake and holding a pencil starts to get cumbersome!

I don't typically wear gloves while drawing, as I find I lose a lot of fine control, but I think I'll have to look around for something that'll keep my hands warm without impeding the handling of my pencil. So I was wondering -- do any of you wear gloves while you sketch? Do you find fingerless mitts any better, or maybe leather gloves?

One thing you might try is to have both your hands and the pad inside a big plastic bag. I've done that in the rain before now (and I have more recently used the same method when fiddling with camera controls in extreme cold).

I quite like Ed's idea - worth a try. I suppose clear plastic would allow more light in for drawing purposes. I've just been suffering the same problems trying to draw divers, Jomo. One thing I always do if the opportunity is there and that's to use the car as a birdhide. Window-mount your scope and get comfortable - it can be a welcome break from the elements. One other thing I'm goint to try (as I have used fingerless mitts but they tend to inhibit a little - and your fingerends still go numb) - is those little pocket hand-warmers you can get from outdoor shops, mountain equipment. I seem to recall they have crystals inside and you break them to release the heat. Keep it in your pocket and it's a refuge for frostbitten extremities.

Try a tight fitting pair of sheepskin leather gloves,it's just like having an extra layer of skin and because they're leather you will be able to grip your pens/pencils with ease.

Other then that,I vaguely recall seeing some gloves that had extra thin finger tips so as to allow delicate working on machinery.These were seen on one of those ex military type sites.

Matt

matt green said:
Try a tight fitting pair of sheepskin leather gloves,it's just like having an extra layer of skin and because they're leather you will be able to grip your pens/pencils with ease.

Other then that,I vaguely recall seeing some gloves that had extra thin finger tips so as to allow delicate working on machinery.These were seen on one of those ex military type sites.

Matt
Those sound good..

Also you used to be able to buy what were called 'undergloves' or similar. They are very thin polyester/cotton and for underneath thicker gloves or mittens. Got some a couple of years ago from a outdoors shop (Millets if I remember!).

Its freezing here in Winter. I discovered that gloves designed for ice fishing here to be fantastic, made by sundridge. They are neoprene based and are essentially large mittens. The clever bit is that the mitten part folds back and velcro on the back of the wrist holds it folded back there, out of the way so you can tie knots (or in my case sketch!)with your now fingerless gloves. The thumb also folds back at the tip to free that too.
The gloves are superbly warm and flexible...

I always use gloves when it's too cold, a pair that are designed for people packing meat in factories. It's true that you lose a lot of precision even with the thinnest gloves but this can be turned to advantage with using a larger sketchbook and working from the wrist, the results are a lot more full of life and less fiddly!

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone! Ed, I think you've just solved another problem for me -- I prefer to bird in the rain during the summer months, as it keeps the mosquitos grounded, but it also means I can't pull out the sketchbook without drenching it. Great solution (and cheap, too)! Although you've got a good point too, Nick -- loosening up is something I definately need to work on (and I don't think it's going to happen unless I force it on myself).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back