• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

Good to see your return to the forum, and such well observed sketches, I could see it was a willow from the thumbnail! The angle on your Bewick's is beautiful, and the stonechat and the goldeneye are lovely. Make sure you find time to keep this up! Revision is all good, but you do need a break from it now and again.

Definately Nick! You can't revise for ever, you'd go stir crazy!
I can't wait to get back into painting again, I really enjoyed it and the commetns from you lot is secong to non! thanks and a happy new year to everyone!

What a bird, wish I'd seen it! If you're going for a painting, I'd go for the top sketch, very dynamic, full of movement. (Or do several paintings!)

Ill have a go at that one. Thanks.
I want to almost do a collage of pics if i can, I am not entirely sure what to include though at the moment, maybe a waxwing... and some scarcities...

Good to have you back making contributions Zac, some great sketches there.

All the best for 2008, birds, exams, studies, sketching all included.

Woody

Hi Zac Nice to have you back- always keep an eye on your thread- you are doing some great work. Look forward to seeing lots in 2008:t:

Hi Zac, hope you dont mind me adding my two-penneth? Your sketches show a lot of potential and are delightfully un-pretentious. My advice would be to do lots of them so that you become more consistent. Practice is good! and if you enjoy drawing you should have a great time!

Im back...again, I am being quiet!

In truth, Ive been out on 4 trips this year, 2 of which I have been sitting in the car at dusk watching nothing fly into the gull roost at Fishmoor Resevoir.

I went out early this AM (set off before light) and managed to see a Slavonian Grebe down to 10 feet on what can only be described as a pond next to Macdonalds and the A59!

I managed the odd Fieldy but it was raining and dark, so i wasnt putting a great deal of effort in!

I am working on a Painting at the moment...An Albatross in harsh weather...should I have sky fierce, clean or pale(clean, meaning one darksh shade)?

Thanks

Attachments

• Slav005.jpg
    Slav005.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 98
excellent slav, I find them difficult to draw (because I don't see them very often) the little sketch bottom right is a superb rendering of its shape and character, well done!

I love that shaded head study, it's just beautiful :t: are you going to post these on your blog?
If the albatross is in harsh weather then perhaps a fierce sky would be best.

I have researched the sea that I would like and have found the perfect scene for what I am after. Ofcourse I will change it, but I am going to combine the wind and mist. the wind will hopefully cause the water to appear wrinkled but I will see when Im done!

Attachments

• albatross - yeeeeeessss.jpg
    albatross - yeeeeeessss.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 103
Really nice sketches, you've kept them simple, graphic and you definately have an eye for shapes. Keep it up!

Mike

Whatever you do don't open the painting expecting the detail of Peter Mathios or Andrew Ellis, or even the quality of all you other Artists out there.

i do however like this Painting, now that there is a bird on it!

Attachments

• Paint006.jpg
    Paint006.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 110
Well Zac - there's a huge amount in this painting that I really like. You've handled the colours and overall tonal quality expertly and I think your approach to the sea is commendable, particularly the cresting wave. You've introduced a vitality and movement which is not easy to get - so another huge round of applause. Just one thing which you may (or may not) want to look at and that's the points at which the bird's wings emerge from its body - they look just a tad 'offset' at the moment and it's distracting the eye from what is otherwise a total winner. You've got the light and darks superbly in the subject, I think it's worth one more analytical glance at this area and then I'm sure you'll have produced a real beauty!
Great work at this early stage of your career.

Just one thing which you may (or may not) want to look at and that's the points at which the bird's wings emerge from its body - they look just a tad 'offset' at the moment and it's distracting the eye from what is otherwise a total winner.

I agree entirely, i have only noticed that since posting and will get on with sorting it out.

Thanks for the kind Comments

Zac

I agree with Tim, this is an excellent dive into the deep end and there is so much success in it, keep going in this direction, it's certainly one with no visible dead ends. The wings do need revising as you have seen, its one of the most frustrating things about painting, getting to the end, then deciding something isn't right and having to go over it, but we all do it. Already this year I haven't been able to get these things right: dunnocks' legs, storks' wings, wood warblers' bills (and the list goes on!)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back