• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breasted Merganser, Central Ohio, USA (1 Viewer)

OhioMoose

Looking for confirmation that this is a Red-breasted Merganser. Does anything else have a similar 'punk rock' head?

Sorry for the poor-quality photo: it was a good distance away, was backlit, and I didn't get any chance to change my position before it moved away. The third photo is the beginning of a dive, showing some colors underneath.

This is the only one I saw, although someone else nearby said they'd seen two pairs of Mergansers in the area. It was diving alone, away from the main group of Greater and Lesser Scaups, Redheads, Canvasbacks, Buffleheads, and the nearby Mallards.

Attachments

• RedBreastedMerganser_4455.jpg
    RedBreastedMerganser_4455.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 79
  • RedBreastedMerganser_4457.jpg
    RedBreastedMerganser_4457.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 67
  • RedBreastedMerganser_4460.jpg
    RedBreastedMerganser_4460.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 62
Thanks! I wish I'd been able to get a better photo - maybe later this week, if they hang around a bit longer.

All these migrants seem very "shy", moving as a group to the other shore away from anyone nearby. There were several hundred water birds at Twin Lakes Saturday, fewer Sunday.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back