• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP for ID - Minneapolis, Minnesota (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
An American friend took these (poor) pics yesterday in his backgarden. I'm helpless with the American birds, so I'm asking for help...
Thank you.

Cristian

Attachments

• DSCN0038m.jpg
    DSCN0038m.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0039m.jpg
    DSCN0039m.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Hi Cristian,

Looks to be a Cooper's Hawk to me. It's showing a dark cap with a pale nape, and the tail-feathers seem graduated. Leg thickness from this perspective can be misleading - Coops have thicker legs than Sharpies (Sharp-shinned Hawks), but this difference is most apparent from a side-view, not a frontal view like this (hence the appearance of seemingly thin legs).

An American friend took these (poor) pics yesterday in his backgarden. I'm helpless with the American birds, so I'm asking for help...
Thank you.

Cristian

It is definitely either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-shinned Hawk. Alex offers some good reasons for saying Cooper's. (Though the side view versus straight on view theory about leg thickness is a new one on me -- just when I thought I had heard it all about distinguishing these two species). But it looks fairly small and delicate, so if it is a Cooper's, I would guess a small male (since males are smaller than females). But I would not be surprised if someone tries to argue for Sharp-shinned -- this can be a tough call to make from photos. Some people even used to maintain that the difference could not be ascertained in the field.

Best,
Jim

Remember the 'garden killer' a few posts back? Compare with the grey-cheked SSH from that thread here:

http://kristinadoyle.smugmug.com/photos/327504017_FyBWB-M.jpg

and note the difference in the head pattern, where the dark on the SSH,s head reaches further down on the head sides and not the 'cap' impression usually in CH. Also when blowing up the image of the Cooper´s tail pattern (you know what I mean) - and compare it to the 'garden killer' linked above.
So Cooper´s it is, probably a male by the colour of the cheeks.

JanJ

Last edited:
Its pretty much figured out already but I want to add another vote for Cooper's Hawk because of everything stated above!

To add to the leg discussion, I was going to say sharpie based on just photo #2, but after also opening #1, I think the legs are thick enough to say Coop.

So...Coop.

To add to the leg discussion, I was going to say sharpie based on just photo #2, but after also opening #1, I think the legs are thick enough to say Coop.

So...Coop.

Ah but photo2 provides a better look at the pale nape, dark cap, AND graduated rectrices - all more reliable field marks for Coop - especially at this angle.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back