• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

As easy as it gets (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hi one and all,

Going to Leeds regularly means I can stop off at Fairburn Ings for a few hours on the way home. Usually I go to Lindyke hide, and then check out the boardwalks for woodland birds etc.

Today was different I decided not to leave the car, other than to check the sightings board in the Visiter Centre.

Arrived at eleven and parked up, had sandwiches and coffee and got the binos ready. A tree to the right side of me about thirty yards away seemed to attract a fair amount of birds, one species in particular that I'd wanted to see was the Bullfinch. Sure enough four came in the tree. Whatever else I got would be a bonus. Left the reserve at quart to two.

In total I parked in three car park areas and this is what I saw :

Bullfinch
Pheasant
Chaffinch
Black-headed Gull
Mute Swan
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Willow Tit
C.Crow
Rook
Black Swan
Greenfinch
Tree Sparrow
Moorhen
Lapwing
Robin
Great-crested Grebe
Goldeneye
Greylags
Canadas
Coot
Mallard
Mute Swan
Little Grebe
Wood Pigeon
Grey Heron
Cormorant [one carrying nesting material]
Long-tailed Tit
Tufted Duck
Magpie
Reed Bunting
Jacdaw
Aylesbury
White geese

Almost forty species of bird all from the comfort of the car, it certainly doesn't get any easier. I daresay the purists will say this is a lazy way of birdwatching. My answer to this is, it's rare for me to birdwatch in comfort, I'm usually tramping around the reserves getting knackered in the process.

Intellectual.

Do it how you want....just enjoy it.
Seems like you did and did!!!
I've never been to Fairburn Ings...shall have to try and get there soon.

Dave.

Not a bad list at all, especially from the car. I have enjoyed my occasional trips to Fairburn Ings too, usually en-route back from Blacktoft.

What a great day you had! Many on that list I would love to see. However you find them, as long as your having fun, that's what counts.

Screech said:
What a great day you had! Many on that list I would love to see. However you find them, as long as your having fun, that's what counts.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments. It was a good lazy day, certainly to be recommended, but not regular.

Say hi to some friends in Secaucus NJ.

Regards

Intellectual.

PS:Thanks Tom, really enjoyed reading your thread about Scotland and the H.D.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back