• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hurn, Dorset (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Well.... a weekend actually....

We spent the weekend down in Hurn - not specifically a birding weekend, but we were out and about a fair bit.

Our list for the weekend was 45 species - would probably have been a few more if the weather had been nice enough for our planned trip to Keyhaven/Pennington on Sunday. As it was, a bit of wind and rain encouraged us to plan a woodland walk instead!!

Highlights/lowlights were....

A garden list of 24 species - lots of feeders and lots of birds in the garden of the cottage that we stayed in. Wonderful views of Nuthatch, Long-Tailed Tit, Coal Tit at a distance of only about 8'...

Lots of Common Buzzards including some excellent close views and even one perched up at only about 100m or so...

Marsh Tit - I've often heard people say " You should carefully check any Tit flocks - you never know what you might see!" Well, up until now, I've only ever seen Blue Tits and Great Tits. Not this time - my first ever Marsh Tit (other than on a reserve feeder)

Not a single Starling all weekend!! (and only 2 House Sparrows)

Very nice weekend anyway - good company and the odd glass of wine.... booked in again for the Autumn!!

Oddly enough I've noticed that I seldom see Starlings at reserves. I've yet to see a single House Sparrow at Rye Meads!

I love watching Tit flocks. Came across a big Long Tail flock in Hatfield Forest and found a Nuthatch and a Treecreeper attached (the former was chasing the later off!). I've been sneered at for doing this but hey their problem. Picked up my first Marsh this way.

pduxon said:
Oddly enough I've noticed that I seldom see Starlings at reserves. I've yet to see a single House Sparrow at Rye Meads!

I love watching Tit flocks. Came across a big Long Tail flock in Hatfield Forest and found a Nuthatch and a Treecreeper attached (the former was chasing the later off!). I've been sneered at for doing this but hey their problem. Picked up my first Marsh this way.
SNEERED AT???
They obviously don't know what they're on about! I saw my first Nuthatch & Lesser Spotted Woodpecker tagging along with tit flocks!
It's the "tail-enders" that you really need to watch though, all those Goldcrests could well be hiding something a little less "ordinary"!!

Ruby,
glad you enjoyed your weekend, I'm betting the autumn one will be even better ;)

Ruby,

Sound like you had a nice time, my main concern is NO starlings and FEW House sparrows, our bread and butter birds that seem to be diminishing in numbers annually. Very worrying!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back