• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Messingham Sand Quarries (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hi everyone,

Started early yesterday [21st] to go to MSQ, arrived at 06:35 and stayed till 13:35. The weather was not kind it threw rain, hail, strong winds and finally relented and sent out some sunshine!

Went to the Grebe Hide first, stayed ten seconds, thats how long it took to count the birds, things could only get better.

A few hundred yards before the Duck hide I saw my first ever sighting of a Tree Creeper, not a good view, but the downward turning bill meant I'd seen another first. Saw another one later on, with a full-on view.

Approaching the hide saw quite a few birds but not as many as usual.
Having the hide to yourself means for me I can spread all my gear out.

As the morning wore on more birds arrived, this is what I wanted to see.

This is what I saw :

Tufted Duck - 42
Coot - 58
Pheasant - 5
Magpie - 2
Great Tit - 4
Blue Tit - 2
Mallard - 18
Goosander - 1 [female]
Greylag Geese - 122
Canada " - 49
Mute Swan - 21
Wood Pigeon - 23
Long-tailed Tit - 2
Tree Creeper - 2* [first ever sighting]
Wren - 2
Reed Bunting - 4 [two pair]
Kingfisher - 1
Gadwall - 4
Black-headed Gull - 137
Common Gull - 120
Pochard - 7
Shelduck - 24
Shoveler - 8
C.Crow - 2
Robin - 1
Chaffinch - 2
Moorhen - 3
Redshank - 10
Curlew - 22
Lapwing - 13
Starling - 1
C.Buzzard - 2
Chiffchaff - 2
Sand Martin - 5
Teal - 9 [flew over]
Red-legged Partridge - 1
Oystercatcher - 2
Wigeon - 2
Grey Squirrel - 1
Rabbit - 7
Stoat - 1

No where near as comfortable as birdwatching while sat in the car, like I did last week at Fairburn. The big advantage to being in the thick of it is listening to the birds singing especially early in the morning, even if I can only identify the Wren, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Blackbird.

Since buying a dictation machine to replace the notebook, especially in the wet season I've found it to be a godsend, plus I get to replay the bird sounds while sat in the comfort of the armchair back at home!

Regards.

Sounds like a great day out...

I too suffered a little bit with the weather yesterday... back at work today and NOW look at it!! (no wind, sunny down here at any rate)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back