• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown duck (1 Viewer)

tcom

Hello,

In my duck photo collection, I have found one more which I can't identify.

It has been photographed last December in Vevey on the border of lake Geneva.

Attachments

• IMGP0776.JPG
    IMGP0776.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 427
Note slightly purple head plummage.

To me it resembles either a mallard or a teal, but I could be wrong.

Would have thought it has some Mallard in it. It's maybe either a Mallard hybrid or some sort of domestic variant of Mallard. Definitely not a Wigeon.

Hi

I think a "domestic variant of a mallard" would imply to have more than just one single duck. This is the one and only I have seen.

But I guess it could be a hybrid.

could it be part lesser scaup or ring-necked with mallard, if that's even possible, there's no curled tail tail feathers like a mallard, but mallardish feet and bill? just my 2¢ if it's even worth that! as i'm very much a newbie to birding. (not sure of the range on the scaups), the eye doesn't look mallard either.

Definitely a Mallard hybrid of some sort. Horrible looking thing! I wonder what produced that white line behind the eye?

Jason

I think it is Mallard X Redcrested Pochard; allthough a slightly more mallardlike variant-
fluffy looking head plumage and in the bill colour the orange touch indicate that ancestry.

Hi Jason,
I think the white line behind the eye seems to be an artefact, caused by the angle of incoming light

And I´d agree with you, birdman-nice looking bird
I like ducks too (and the surprises that can happen there, like this one)

Jörn

Yes, mallard + something. I'd say most likely a Tufted or a Scaup. It's a female isn't it? From what I've read the males (even in mallard mixes) have those curled feathers.

Can anybody who thinks this has aythya genes in it tell me why. Structurally it looks OK to me for a 'funny' Mallard, of which we see many on these pages.

Warbler - surely it is a male, curled feathers or not?

Regards,

Stephen.

Whilst this bird might be a Mallard x RC Pochard I'm still not completely convinced. Given the picture has been taken in strong light the bill isn't that far removed from a normal Mallard. The upperparts look OK for RC Pochard influence, but the chest and the rear end do not.

We'll never know, but if there is RC Pochard in its ancestry my guess would be it is not first generation.

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Can anybody who thinks this has aythya genes in it tell me why. Structurally it looks OK to me for a 'funny' Mallard, of which we see many on these pages.
At first glimpse it appeared much like Anas platyrhynchos to me. Eye, head size, short body and the back-breast-underparts colouration is though very Aythyaish. The "funny" Anas platyrhynchoses usually have smaller head compared to body.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back