• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Racial ID of Dunlin (1 Viewer)

rosy tern

Hi,

Attached are some pics of an odd looking dunlin seen last week. This bird was not hanging out with other dunlin present, refused to fly (presumably from exhaustion) and was very worn. It struck me as being totally different jizz wise to other dunlin seen just minutes before. Long legged, long billed, long winged, and in a different stage of moult to other dunlin present. Can anyone help to shed light on its subspecies and origins?

:h?:

Thanks

Rosy

Attachments

• Dunlin01.jpg
    Dunlin01.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 266
  • Dunlin06.jpg
    Dunlin06.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Dunlin04.jpg
    Dunlin04.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 241
Hi Rosy,

I'd hazard a guess that it is Calidris alpina hudsonia (breeds northern Canada, winters mostly SE USA). This (and the western American race pacifica) are both larger and longer-billed than the European races (schinzi, alpina, arctica).

Not sure about the moult, I'd have to look in more detail in BWP to see if there's any info, maybe later today.

Michael

There doesn't appear to be any odd stage of moult going on, it looks like a Dunlin changing slowly into its summer attire to me.
As for the race, well if I saw it alone, I wouldn't be running home to check on any trans-atlantic variant, there's enough variation with breeding birds in this country to be going on with.......

Don't forget sakhalina (spp) too. It looks long-billed but perhaps not as extreme as hudsonia

If its dull tomorrow I'll have a read up.

alcedo.atthis said:
At the risk of getting in too deep.......it's too rufous Malky.

Mmmm??

Excellent selective use of one shot to cast doubt Malky! ;)

I'm with Jane on alpina

Excellent selective use of one shot to cast doubt Malky! ;)

I'm with Jane on alpina

Alpina???

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm

Mmmmalky!!

Attachments

• Dunlin Mantle Fringes.jpg
    Dunlin Mantle Fringes.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 205
  • Dunlin Breast Streaking.jpg
    Dunlin Breast Streaking.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Dunlin Belly Pacth.jpg
    Dunlin Belly Pacth.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 207
The grey nape probably means it is a male - the bill looks just about ok for a female alpina but can a male alpina really have a bill that long?

Dave

Thanks for thoughts so far. Seems like most are plumping for alpina. I have to say having done some reading that I'd favour alpina too. However this bird just struck me as being totally different to the other full summer plumage dunlin that were present nearby. What these pics don't show too well are the long primaries which extended well beyond the tail, the long legs, and the odd stance that it would often pose in with neck extended and body raised. Its jizz was more like a curlew sand than a dunlin. I have some more photos that I will try to attach tomorrow.

Rosy

The grey nape probably means it is a male - the bill looks just about ok for a female alpina but can a male alpina really have a bill that long?

Dave

Just curious, have you read "Guide to the Identification and Ageing of Holartic Waders".

Malky

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back