• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish warbler (1 Viewer)

lazza

At the time, I put this down as a Melodious Warbler, as it seemed to match the pictures and description in Collins, but as it's a lifer for me, I took a couple of photos. As always, the quality is very poor, but now I look at them, I am wondering if I got this right. The back view seems very dark....

The bird was quite large, not far off sparrow size, so distinctly bigger than a phylloscopus warbler. Brief notes taken at the time: "dark greeny brown above, pale yellow below, paler supercillium, dark legs, squeaky fast chekchekchekchek call"

Is it possible to make any positive identification from these photos?

The bird was at El Clot de Galvaney just south of Alicante in Spain.

Attachments

• ClotWarb2.jpg
    ClotWarb2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 199
  • ClotWarb1.jpg
    ClotWarb1.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Thanks Simon.

I added another comment while you responded! It seemed quite distinctly large, compared to a willow warbler or chiffchaff. And the call was not at all like either...

Lazza - looks like I was being too hasty! What I assumed was a head pattern (fitting Chiffchaff etc) is a branch of the Tamarix! The call you describe fits perfectly for Melodious too. The photos don't shout it but then you know how photos can deceive - I don't suppose you have any more?

Thanks Simon.

I do have a third photo, but cannot actually see any bird in it ;) (they were taken with a compact that I occasionally take with me when I'm out on my bike, so I was lucky to get anything at all!!)

The photos were taken just over a week ago, so maybe fits with the timing.

The pear shaped body is good for Melodious (1st photo) but the colour tone looks too warm - usually looks more lemony. The call you describe is spot on though and doesn't fit any other green/yellow warbler...so I suppose it has to be Melodious. I'm surprised you didn't hear it sing as they do so a lot - especially between a bit of calling.

Thanks. Yes, unfortunately, no song.

It was quite a confident bird, as it remained in the same tree despite a passing, rather noisy school group. Of course, when I tried to creep quietly closer, it was off!

Legs are the wrong colour and I've no idea about calls but the apparently sharp demarcation between yellow and white in pic 1 made me think of wood warbler. Larger than other phylloscopus so may fit that although the bill may look a bit heavy.

Hmmm... the plot thickens. Not sure if wood warbler would be seen in eastern Spain... or whether the terrain fits (it was seen in a quite open area of scrub near the coast). But I agree that the yellow/white is quite distinct. Will have to go and listen to wood warbler calls. Anything that fits my description...?

I get a Phyllosc impression here. And am also reminded of Wood Warbler from the 1st pic. In the 2nd you can see the long primaries also. Have seen a lot of WooWas in Menorca in late April/early May on passage. No reason that they shouldn't pass through East Spain also. And, as Dawsy says, the leg colour is wrong. It's hard to see what's going on with the head in pic 1. What is leaf, blossom, shadow or real feature? As Dawsy said, the sharp demarcation at breast is redolent of Wood, yellow to white.
The call description sounds like Sardinian Warbler!Everywhere they are and could throw their voices in the direction of any mysterious warbler... ;)
Can't think of a Wood |Warbler calling like this! Although, as Simon said, the call description sounds like a Melody.

But here are some calls of Melodious to compare...http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Hippolais-polyglotta

with Sardinian... http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Sylvia-melanocephala

Hope you solve the mystery!:cat:

Last edited:
The photo from behind appears to have the rather thick neck and broad head neck of a Hippolais, but the photo from the front doesn't look quite so promising. That's me on the fence!

Last edited:
Thanks all! Sardinian warblers are everywhere in the area for sure, and this call definitely was different, and definitely came from this bird (as I watched it through bins). Listening to the wood warbler song on xeno-canto, I wonder - does the song ever omit the final trill, as the first part of the song could fit? (tbh, I can't remember the exact tone of the call/song, and only have my notes above to go on!)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back