• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa tsn4 vs kowa tsn824 (1 Viewer)

swamp_rattler

How much bigger is a Kowa TSN824 than a Kowa TSN-4? I am basically concerned about length here. Anyone able to compare the two side by side? Also, how much better is the TSN824's optics?
Thanks

swamp_rattler said:
How much bigger is a Kowa TSN824 than a Kowa TSN-4? I am basically concerned about length here. Anyone able to compare the two side by side? Also, how much better is the TSN824's optics?
Thanks
Hi,

I have used the angled models TSN-3 and 823 and there is not very much difference in length (I think 15" vs 15.1") - the 823 is just "fatter" and the eyepiece is more off from the central axis. While the fixed wide-angles of the TSN-3/4 were very good, IMO the 820-series has a MUCH better zoom and slightly better brightness and color balance (=one of the best). Also the new digiscoping eyepieces have a lot more eye-relief than the previous models. Mechanically I liked the older metal-Kowas better. I think the fluorite-820s are optically in the same class with Swaros, Leicas, Zeisses and Nikons.

Regards,

Ilkka

Hi Ilkka
I quite agree with your statement on the optical quality, arguably there may be some slight better resolution or colour but not that it really justifies the many more hundreds of pounds that have to be shelled out. There a times when I think some birders like to say mine's a Leica, or Swarovski or Zeiss, a bit like my car is a BMW or Mercedes.

I still have my TSN4 which is about 18 years old and still optically perfect, no marks on the lenses at all. I see no reason to jump out at the moment to change. If I did it would be for an 824.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back