• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any help with this wader? (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

Hi All. I took this rather bad picture of a wader in some short semi-arid grass about 300 meters from the water at barberspan in South Africa. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• mystery wader1.jpg
    mystery wader1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 401
We don't know when the photo was taken,so let's presume in the last few weeks.Baberspan in the NW Province has produced some remarkable vagrants,but this is usually in the summer.What birds are you likely to find at Baberspan in mid winter.The only part of the bird that I can see with some clarity is the bill.Of the calidris birds,you shouldn't really be seeing them now as they are summer visitors but you do get some staying for the winter.We can pretty much rule out nine of the 12 species recorded in SA on the season and location.This leaves three.Red Knot and Curlew Sandpiper can be ruled out on the shape of their bill.That leaves only the Little Stint.The only other bird it could be really,at this time of year,is a Common Sandpiper,also a summer visitor but again a few all year.Looking at the bill I feel that the bill is too long for a Little Stint.If the picture was taken in summer...well that's going to open a whole new can of worms,and to try and guess would be only that.
Just some thoughts.

On balance, probably a Little Stint for me too, though I'd echo Mark's reservation about the bill length - surely too long for a Little Stint? Especially looking at the angle of the bird's head, which isn't entirely side-on, suggesting the bill is if anything even longer in life than it appears in this photo.

ce

I saw this and ran away last week. I thought its a Calidrid.. it ought to be a little stint, but that is a hell of a bill. Its also looks ever so leggy. If I'd got no idea where it was taken I'd be veering towards Dunlin most probably

Is it really that "leggy" or is the lower part of its legs actually blades of grass.

It's turned quite a long way towards us so the bill woudn't be hugely longer if the bird was in profile.

No way it's a Common Sand.

I reckon it's a Little Stint.

James Lowther said:
Whatever it is, it's definitely a calidris and not a common sandpiper

James,please tell me,what calidris we going to find at Barberspan in the NW of South Africa in presumably mid winter other than a Little Stint?Sorry,but I have a problem with that bill.I haven't said it IS a Common Sandpiper,I've explained why it might be and why I have a problem with the Little Stint.Come on convince me otherwise,why is it definitely a calidris?

Not a Common Sand because...

1. No white eye-ring.
2. No dark eye-stripe.
3. No clearly defined super.
4. Not unfiormly coloured on the mantle.

Probably...

sorry Mark,
didn't mean to be curt but just echoing what lou, stuart, marek, jane and others have said that regardless of what the probable candidates are a) it looks most like a calidrid and b) to me there's no way in the world it's a common sandpiper for many reasons including the head:body proportions, the structure and colour of the bill, the spindly black/dark legs AND the reasons others have given.
regards
James

For what it's worth - most migrant waders have returned to South Africa already. The photo quality certainly doesn't make for an easy I.D. here, but Common Sand certainly seems to be the closest to what could be expected. That bill is probably about a third too long for Little Stint.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back