• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

"Wensum Valley raptor watchpoint at Swanton Novers NNR will be closing on Friday 12th August"
Is this true? or is this crossed wires in relation to the Great Ryburgh one?
Worrying times.

If I'm not much mistaken the Great Ryburgh one is the Wensum Valley Raptor Watchpoint and it's that one that's closing not the Swanton Novers one.

Birders have persisted in calling it the Great Ryburgh raptor watchpoint despite those involved with it insisting that it should be known as the Wensum Valley Raptor Watchpoint (which is, presumably, something to do with the fact that it overlooks the Wensum Valley and is not at Great Ryburgh).

Presumably the crossed wires arise from someone not knowing which one is the Wensum Valley one (after all, Swanton Novers isn't exactly far from the Wensum Valley and is, I think, within the Wensum Valley Bird Club recording area).

The Swanton Novers Raptor Watchpoint is, as far as I know, remaining open, so yes, crossed wires I think. I'm sure Tideliner will put us right if I've got that wrong, but I think that ties in with what he said previously.

Given the riots in London and the possible breakdown of the western economy I do not see the closure of a field in Norfolk where men with beards watch birds of prey as notable!

I bet you would if the bird of prey was a Lesser Spotted Eagle...

Dave. Rare eagles are only seen over over natural surroundings!! Closure of these watchpoints is sad but relatively insignificant in the overall scheme of things!!

Dave. Rare eagles are only seen over over natural surroundings!! Closure of these watchpoints is sad but relatively insignificant in the overall scheme of things!!

Guess that depends how much use you get out of them! If a person enjoys viewing birds from these sites that are closing I would assume it matters to them a fair bit.

Closure of these watchpoints is sad but relatively insignificant in the overall scheme of things!!

Couldn't agree more, and the same is true of pretty much everything that's said on Bird Forum. Doesn't stop us being interested in the insignificant things though!

Fine provided that you pay for them. One viewing point is plenty.

But if Swanton Novers really was closing as well, as inferred in the recent messages, then there wouldn't be one viewing point. Not that that would be the end of the world, or even as significant as riots in London, but I think it's of enough interest to those interested in Norfolk birding to warrant being clarified in a thread about Norfolk birding.

Keep smiling ;-)

Fine provided that you pay for them. One viewing point is plenty. Watching the news of the carnage in London puts of this into perpective!!

Having grown up in Tottenham this is just an extreme event of what happens every day in that area but doesn't get the publicity.
Have had numerous friends mugged or shops ransacked for being a different ethnicity or as just a random event.
This is just a coming together of all those events in a short space of time.

Couldn't agree more, and the same is true of pretty much everything that's said on Bird Forum. Doesn't stop us being interested in the insignificant things though!

But if Swanton Novers really was closing as well, as inferred in the recent messages, then there wouldn't be one viewing point. Not that that would be the end of the world, or even as significant as riots in London, but I think it's of enough interest to those interested in Norfolk birding to warrant being clarified in a thread about Norfolk birding.

Keep smiling ;-)

My source is rare bird alert so did make me question the reality of the situation!

Seen a lot of things over the years. Burning of buildings and systematic looting of whole high streets is very extreme. I am not aware of it happening in cley or holme. Having said that most of the houses are in these locations are owned by people living in London!!

Seen a lot of things over the years. Burning of buildings and systematic looting of whole high streets is very extreme. I am not aware of it happening in cley or holme. Having said that most of the houses are in these locations are owned by people living in London!!

indeed

it's a little known fact but Terry Hall penned The Specials' 'Ghost Town' after a visit to Brancaster Staithe

Full of retired doctor's I am led to believe. A ghost town indeed!! Holme in winter is also a ghost town - hardly anybody there as they are all in the home counties. Not good for the village pub or shop, the latter closed some time ago!!

Last edited:
These hoodlums running riot in London should follow the example set by our leaders. Cameron, Osbourne and Boris used to smash places up in their Bullington club days (quiet country pubs, family-run restaurants..that sort of thing) but at least they had the decency to pay for the damage afterwards, and often in cash.

Come on guys this is a bird forum not a socio-political discussion group. When compared to a lot of things that are going on around the world the riots are, at most, an inconvenience it's all relative. So the closure of a raptor watching point is, relatively speaking, more important in the context of this forum than a bunch of no-good malcontents who need a new tv.

Come on guys this is a bird forum not a socio-political discussion group. When compared to a lot of things that are going on around the world the riots are, at most, an inconvenience it's all relative. So the closure of a raptor watching point is, relatively speaking, more important in the context of this forum than a bunch of no-good malcontents who need a new tv.

I totally agree with you on what you have said , this is a forum for people who are interested in bird watching ,

Just noticed the closure of the Raptor viewpoint is on sky news. They are currently interviewing a man from Norfolk in a country inovations jacket with a beard! He says the online petition for a debate in the house on Raptor viewpoints is gathering force and three bf members have signed, all with beards of course!

Just noticed the closure of the Raptor viewpoint is on sky news. They are currently interviewing a man from Norfolk in a country inovations jacket with a beard! He says the online petition for a debate in the house on Raptor viewpoints is gathering force and three bf members have signed, all with beards of course!

I've signed and I'm not even old enough to support a good beard! I've heard they are going to march on London, Watt Tyler style!

I needed a new tv so I went and bought one....How stupid was I!
But you are right, Its actually pretty important here hense why I bought it up.
Wonder if we will get the same reaction if Titchwell or Cley ever decided to close its doors to the public.....

Rspb reserves are open because we pay membership. Same goes for nwt and noa. It costs me around 90 pounds a year to be a member of all three. If you want a second Raptor viewpoint then pay for it - Simples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back