• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Raptor attacks cyclist (1 Viewer)

Yes a Buzzard - it is clearly visible perched in a tree before starting its bombing run in a section at the end of the video. My guess is that its young has/have just fledged and one is low down or grounded near the point it attacks. The single young of the pair that nested in a row of trees near my house has just moved out and the adults have become much noisier and approach much closer to activity on the nearby footpath. No fly-by's yet though!

Wouldn't walk the dog along that stretch at the moment.

No doubt there will be letters calling for a cull in the Daily Rail and the Daily Excess....

Mick

I'm for escaped, human-habituated Red-tailed Hawk. Note the virtually unbarred reddish tail in this printscreen from the video. They also sound just like Buzzards, and an escape is far more likely to attack people than a wild bird.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 63
Hard to judge poor quality video colours. However, a bit of play with the pause button showed this bird to have substantial carpal patches, a Buzzard feature but not, so far as I can see from web photos, a Red-tailed Hawk one.

However, if the cyclist can't find another route just for the duration of the nesting season, he's a top-quality dick. But then the article does say he's a squaddie.....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back