• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk: other insects (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

I thought it might be a good idea to extend the ‘Norfolk Patches’ folder to include insects other than Lepidoptera and Odonata.

Accordingly, I start the thread “Norfolk: other insects”, with this post.

Stonepit Heath provided an attractive orange and black burying beetle Nicrophorus vespilloides. This was a ‘tick’. A search of my external epidermis revealed, fortunately, no others- despite the extensive bracken in this area !

A Forest Bug (shield bug) complemented the action.

Attachments

• 010pse.jpg
    010pse.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 048pse.jpg
    048pse.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 163
Nice one John... I'm starting to develop a slight obsession with the bees in my garden, it is amazing how many different species there are. I'm wasting more and more time watching and photographing them, just need to work out what they are!

Obsessive bee-haviour ?

“If you’re starting to get an obsession,
It could be developing regression !
Whether it’s bees,
Snapped down on your knees,
Or birds. Let’s have your confession !”

And congratulations, Peter, on the first post by non-me.

I started on bees last year, but quickly found them too confusing for my "Very Little Brain" to Bear. Also, for some reason, they often seem difficult to photograph, with much fast movement and/or quivering.

The Norfolk naturalists society have just published "The Bumblebees of Norfolk" - details here. Of course that leaves nearly a 100 odd species of bee that aren't bumbles to sort out!

I'm trying to get my head around hoverflies at the moment, with limited success.

here are a few bees from my front garden, lots of other species out there just a pain to try and get photos of...

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 115
and a few other inverts (there will be some more later once I have sorted some more photos), it's interesting how many different things there are out there, no idea what they are though!

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 127
1 might be a Sarcaphagia spp
2 is a greenbottle (Lucidia virens)
3 is probably Lassus niger
4 is a robber fly of some sort

(and the first of your bees is actually a hoverfly pretending to be a bee)

On my last few visits to Strumpshaw Fen I have noticed some very striking insects in the woods where the water is. They are about the size of a small bumble bee and look very colourful as they hover in the sunshine. The most striking feature is a broad white band around the body and the rest of the colouring is black, brown and orange. After some research I think I have identified them as Volucella pellucens Hoverflies. Does this sound correct?

I have tried to photograph them when they are hovering but have failed to find them in the viewfnder and get them in focus before they zoom off. They are fascinating little creatures to watch, though.

Ron

The most striking feature is a broad white band around the body and the rest of the colouring is black, brown and orange. After some research I think I have identified them as Volucella pellucens Hoverflies. Does this sound correct?
Ron

Hi Ron, I believe you are correct with your identification, they seemed quite numerous for a short while, as you say great little hoverflies.

David, I too saw the Hornet Hoverfly on the buddlia just before Tower Hide. Not seen one before so I checked it out on the net and they are moving North with climate change. Buglife are asking for records to map their journey North. I have reported yesterdays individual already but keep your eye out for more elsewhere.

David, I too saw the Hornet Hoverfly on the buddlia just before Tower Hide. Not seen one before so I checked it out on the net and they are moving North with climate change. Buglife are asking for records to map their journey North. I have reported yesterdays individual already but keep your eye out for more elsewhere.

I sent Buglife the pix and data as soon as I got home from my walk, Ben! All this and Harlequin Ladybirds at Strump! Whatever next? LOL!

An interesting fly on the wall of my house this afternoon unfortunately disappeared when I went indoors to get my camera. I've tried to look for pics on the net but to no avail so thought I'd ask if anyone here can suggest an id.

The fly was blue/green on the thorax and bright pink on the abdomen. Sizewise it was similar to green bottle but perhaps a bit thinner and longer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

I was surprised to discover this on my kitchen ceiling tonight as I was doing the washing up. I don't know what it is but I suspect kitchen ceilings are not its usual habitat. It is now in the garden after its photo session. The body was about 15mm long. Can anybody identify it for me?

Edit: Elsewhere on this forum it has now been identified as an Oak Bush-cricket. A new one for me.

Ron

Attachments

• Bug-small.jpg
    Bug-small.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Loads of Dark Bush Crickets making a racket from the nettle beds at Whitlingham today, and the population of Long-winged Coneheads on the south shore seems to be doing well too.

Attachments

• conehead (800x600).jpg
    conehead (800x600).jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 130
It's Just Not Cricket!

You beat me to it Ron.

I also had a male Oak Bush Cricket on my bathroom wall in Norwich on Wednesday evening.

I understand they are common visitors to gardens but it's a first for my garden/house.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the Coneheads at Whitlingham when I next visit.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• Copy of DSC02647.JPG
    Copy of DSC02647.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 111
You beat me to it Ron.

I also had a male Oak Bush Cricket on my bathroom wall in Norwich on Wednesday evening.

I understand they are common visitors to gardens but it's a first for my garden/house.

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the Coneheads at Whitlingham when I next visit.

Cheers

Steve

The long-winged coneheads are in the vegetation along the broad edge about level with the place where Whitlingham Lane moves away from the broad towards the woods. They make a different noise to the other crickets/grasshoppers once you get your ear in, although it is a bit similar to Roesel's Bush Cricket (some of which are at Carey's meadow if anyone is interested in crickets locally).

The long-winged coneheads are in the vegetation along the broad edge about level with the place where Whitlingham Lane moves away from the broad towards the woods. They make a different noise to the other crickets/grasshoppers once you get your ear in, although it is a bit similar to Roesel's Bush Cricket (some of which are at Carey's meadow if anyone is interested in crickets locally).

Thanks James. I have often wanted to expand my knowledge of this group of insects.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back