• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancs Eagle Owls (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Newly announced breeding Eagle Owls in Lancashire on RBA last night: pair with 3 fledged young 3 miles North of Dunsop Bridge and 1/2 mile S of Whitendale Farm.

This area has a hell of a track record for raptors down the years (Golden Eagle, passage Ospreys, Rough-legged Buzzard, Goshawks etc, etc,) but presumably this announcement is to try to ensure through observer coverage that nothing untoward happens? I can't think why else a breeding site would be revealed.

John

Newly announced breeding Eagle Owls in Lancashire on RBA last night: pair with 3 fledged young 3 miles North of Dunsop Bridge and 1/2 mile S of Whitendale Farm.

This area has a hell of a track record for raptors down the years (Golden Eagle, passage Ospreys, Rough-legged Buzzard, Goshawks etc, etc,) but presumably this announcement is to try to ensure through observer coverage that nothing untoward happens? I can't think why else a breeding site would be revealed.

John

It does seem a bit odd that this has been made public, lets hope it doesnt lead to any problems for the birds

Funny old world, there's folk on this thread saying the Eagle Owls should be removed 'cos they might take the odd raptor, even though they live together across the continent, then other folks on another thread floating the idea of permitting the removal of eggs of a schedule one raptor to keep a few persecuting gamekeepers happy!

Funny old world, there's folk on this thread saying the Eagle Owls should be removed 'cos they might take the odd raptor, even though they live together across the continent, then other folks on another thread floating the idea of permitting the removal of eggs of a schedule one raptor to keep a few persecuting gamekeepers happy!

give the sites to eggers, as least the birds will get away without being shot!!!!8-P

Where do you see that , are you reading something that i cant see?

John

Unless I'm very much mistaken Whitendale Farm is part of the United Utilities estate (Whitendale intake). Given the persecution and vulnerability of other raptors within the area I'm unconvinced the Eagle Owls are particulary welcome. Fortunately there is a lot of high tech, professional monitoring of the local raptor population. If the Eagle Owls decide to move on from cats, dogs, babies etc..... to some of these other species sadly their stay in Lancashire will be short lived.

Ian

Well the warden there yesterday told me they have been breeding in this wider area for a few years now.

It is united utilities land, but only just but the adjoining landowner was said to be an ok chap.

I hope this does not not cause too much bad press, or a bad name for eagle owls. You would not walk between a cow and its calf. Great birds and I hope they survive. Shame I cant make it down there.

Bob went to look at the owls yesterday and met someone who'd we'd met on Lesvos. He can't remember their name! Was it you, Damselfly? I'm just interested.

Sandra

I am overjoyed to see these magnificent birds but am (as other Bird Forum members wll be) nervous regarding the reactions of less enthusiastic people such as the local land owners and farmers who will now be in discussion with the likes of the RSPB as to what to do with this conservational dilemma. I myself can only pray that these beautiful creatures are given every opportunity to rear their chicks and establish their species in the area as they have done elsewhere in Europe - without any detrimental effect on the surrounding enviroment

I spoke with the Rangers, Police and various other persons now involved with the issue and am satisfied that at present there is adequate surveylance (around the clock) to ensure the safety of the owls and their chicks.

There are a wide variety of rumours circulating the birding web sites at present but I remain sceptical and hope people can use common sense when they hear of such events. I can however confirm that a wildlife officer was attacked when he approached the nest (suprise, suprise) and that a walker and their collie dog were also greeted by the owls in the same manner.

The 3 chicks are now approximately 7 weeks old and are well fed and growing at a healthy rate. The family can be seen clearly from a designated viewing point and is a fantastic sight to watch.

If anyone is considering photographing them I would recommend at least a 500mm lens or Digiscoping equipment.........and a hard hat (just in case)!

Does anyone know if the birds are still showing. I am thinking of going to see them tomorrow.

I don't know the area so any directions to the viweing area would be very helpful.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back