• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rose-Breasted Grosbeak and many more! (1 Viewer)

rllkjr06

Hello Everyone,

Just had to share with everyone my first Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. It sure was a real rush to see him at my feeder a couple days ago! Also, I have a Baltimore Oriole that visits my feeder regularly. Along with those two I have many birds that visit my backyard on daily basis: Chipping Sparrows, White-Crowned Sparrows, House Finches, Goldfinches, Black-capped Chickadees, Yellow Warblers, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Lincoln Sparrows, Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Common Flicker, Mourning Doves, White-breasted Nuthatches, Red-winged Blackbirds, Starlings, Grackles, House Sparrows, Cardinals and Ruby-throated Hummingbirds just to name a few! I really enjoy seeing them on a daily basis. I also put up a Purple Martin house and have a pair already! Can't wait until they have babies. I would love to attach pictures of all my birds but that's not possible, so I attached a few of my favorite ones. Enjoy!

Lynn

Attachments

• Rose-Breasted Grosbeak.jpg
    Rose-Breasted Grosbeak.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Baltimore Oriole.jpg
    Baltimore Oriole.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Ruby-throated Hummingbird.jpg
    Ruby-throated Hummingbird.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 128
Sounds like you have a great birding yard. Would love to see some of your species.

My Baltimore Orioles arrived back today so I've just cleaned out the same feeder that you have. I'll stick it out tonight with some Grape Jelly for him in the morning.

Yes sir, I saw a group of four Baltimore Orioles along the Cooper River in NJ today as well as my first Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

:hi: Coming to you from Wisconsin. I have spotted my first hummer this afternoon trying to get nectar from the oriole feeder, so up went the hummer nectar:-O

I have had the Baltimore Oriole for the past 5 days here and they seem to prefer the grape jelly over the nectar. I had noticed the grape jelly has been disappearing quite fast...just now, I have seen a Rose-breasted Grosbeak eating the grape jelly like there was no tomorrow :-O

Have any of you ever noticed your Rose-breasted Grosbeak doing this also, please let me know, as it's new to me, thanks and have a great birdwatching day, ChickaD |:D|

ChickaD,

Glad to hear you finally got your first hummer of the year! I have a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that visit daily and every now and then they seem to prefer to eat from the Oriole feeder instead.

Right now I have three Baltimore Orioles visiting daily and they prefer the nectar over the oranges and grape jelly! They usually don't start eating the oranges and grape jelly until mid June. As for the Rose-breasted Grosbeak, mine will only eat sunflower chips. I have never witnessed him eating the grape jelly.

Also, yesterday I saw my first Indigo Bunting eating at my thistle feeder, what a beautiful bird! I hope he comes back again soon. Have you seen any of these yet?

I've attached a few more photos for everyone to enjoy!

Lynn

Attachments

• Chipping Sparrow #1.jpg
    Chipping Sparrow #1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Common Grackle #2 - Revised.jpg
    Common Grackle #2 - Revised.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Downey Woodpecker #1.jpg
    Downey Woodpecker #1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Gold Finches & Black-capped Chickadee #1.jpg
    Gold Finches & Black-capped Chickadee #1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Red-Bellied Woodpecker - 3-20-08 .jpg
    Red-Bellied Woodpecker - 3-20-08 .jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 124
Hi Lynn,

Enjoyed your photos! I spotted my first Indigo Bunting yesterday eating sunflower chips on the tube feeder...they are gorgeous aren't they?

My Rose-breasted Grosbeak will eat sunflower chips and also love safflower, you can hear them cracking the hull off the safflower seed; only see the male eating the grape jelly, and he's so smug about it :-O

Have a great weekend everyone and keep the photos coming Lynn
ChickaD

Hi ChickaD,

Just realized now that you are from Wisconsin. Where in Wisconsin do you live? I grew up in Albany, Wisconsin (not too far from Madison). I have only lived in Illinois for four years now.

Hi Lynn,

I'm from the Whitewater area...small world huh? I so enjoy BF, so many nice people. I'm looking forward to Monday and Tues, to have nice weather here again, sun and temps in 60's....yes!!! ChickaD

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back