• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

30x/40x fixed lens on ed50 (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

AM now the owner of a pink straight through nikoned50 body.

have a lens arriving in post weds, but am wondering about the practicality of using the higher powered fixed mag lens.

AM a glasses user and i found the 27x wa lens in to have a very short eye relief.

woould a 30x or higher fixed lens be worse??

any spec wearer have experience with this?

Are you sure you tried the 27x WA (or older WF, or newer DS)? It (and the other versions listed) has about 18mm eye relief which is as good as it gets when it comes to eye relief with fieldscope eyepieces (and most scope eyepieces in general, regardless of brand/model). Most glasses wearers find it quite comfortable. All of the WA, DS, and WF designated Fieldscope eyepieces have the same eye-relief except the 24/30x (which is a not recommended 16x on the 50ED) which is a bit shorter.

I suspect you may have instead tried the standard 27x. It seems wide compared to the zoom at the same power, but it is not as wide as the others and it only has about 10mm eye-relief.

If you really did try the 27x WA you are out of luck--with your current glasses anyway.

--AP

Last edited:
I only have the 13-40 Zoom, but have glasses all the time (vari-focals), and I have no problem with eye relief at all. perhaps I am just lucky, as I can use 12.5mm orthoscopic eyepieces on my astro scopes. Can you use your scope without specs??

Ditto what Alexis said.

I just put the 27x MC wide on my ED50 and donned my sunglasses. Though I wouldn't characterize the eye relief as abundant, it is adequate and I was easily able to view the full field of view. The zoom has markedly less eye relief. I have the DS version as well and to the best of my ability to discern, has the same eye relief.

Also "Wood", I personally consider the 27x as top useful (day to day) magnification for the ED50. Though I'm a fan of it, it is noticeably less bright than either the 20x wide or 16x DS.

Last edited:
there any disadvantage to using the DS eyepieces just for viewing ie not taking pics?

http://www.adorama.com/NKFS60XDS.html

guess this would be a bit dull on a ed50?

The DS eyepieces have no eyecup, so if you don't wear glasses and if you generally use the eyecup to block stray light or help with eye placement, you'll miss it (though you could fashion one out of bike innertube or flexible hose of the right diameter). Because scopes are used on tripods, I don't find eyecups to be as important as they are with binos.

As for the 40x on the ED50--yes, dim view in comparison to lower powers. I sure wouldn't bother with it. If you need powers that high regularly, then you need a bigger scope.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back