• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular cases--What to do? (1 Viewer)

BobinKy

I have an antique book case with pull-down glass doors. It is not completely dustproof, but I keep my binoculars and other optics on display in this "optics case" in my study. I feel like somebody when I walk past the case and eyeball the collection. But when my better half walks past the case and eyeballs the collection--nature calls and I head for one of my escape routes: the bathroom, garage, or basement.

Now here is my problem--What to do with 12 empty binocular cases (pouches)? Some of the binocular cases are rarely used, as I usually prefer to grab 'n go with the binoculars.

Still the problem remains. I do not want to discard the empty binocular cases, as they may come in handy on those pack 'n go travels. Also, if I ever sell some of the binocular models--which may occur as I find myself drawn to a small 70mm refractor that just appeared on the doorstep--"Honey, I don't know how that little ole thing got here. Must have been a mixup in shipping."

Still the problem remains. What to do with these empty binocular cases? I have thought of boxing them up and storing them in the bottom of a closet--that is if I can find any closet real estate that is vacant--"Honey, do you really wear all of those shoes?"

I also thought of discarding some books and lining up the empty binocular cases on a book shelf. Maybe I can keep them inconspicuous if I put bookwrappers around them and disguise them as old books. Except that Fujinon 16x70 case--that thing is huge. And the straps--maybe they can be bookmarks.

Still the problem remains.

Do any of you keep your binoculars in grab 'n go status? And if you do--what do you do with the empty binocular cases?

--------------------
Bob
38° Kentucky, USA

Improve your life with optics.

Nest small cases inside larger ones. Some soft cases can be rolled up very compactly. Make notes on which cases are inside which (put the notes next to the binos) so you can find a particular case quickly if you need to. If you don't use but save the original straps and caps you can stow them inside each case. Keep leather cases in a dry storage spot.

--AP

Mine aren't displayed so I keep them in their cases objective end down (to fit more on a shelf!).

That way I can "grab and go" a particular bin though I often have a "current go to" bin that's not on the shelf, as well as my cheap Promaster 7x32 that sits on window ledge for immediate use around the apartment (windows on two sides and we're at canopy height!).

I find making the bins more "available" makes them a bit less of a "collection" and more of "selection" (we had a previous thread on this!). I'll pick out the one that seems appropriate for the habitat or my current state of mind ("It's a porro day") or take my "default" bin when I don't want to think about it (which also slowly changes from bin to bin).

I find making the bins more "available" makes them a bit less of a "collection" and more of "selection" (we had a previous thread on this!). I'll pick out the one that seems appropriate for the habitat or my current state of mind ("It's a porro day") or take my "default" bin when I don't want to think about it (which also slowly changes from bin to bin).
... Kevin

This sounds like an interesting thread ("collection" vs. "selection"). I did a quick search in this forum and could not find the thead. Do you know the link?

... Bob
Kentucky, USA

Kevin...

Thanks. This is great discussion from 2006. If you don't mind, I will share the link with the folks at Cloudy Nights.

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Improve your life with optics.

I just stumbled across it.

It is a very interesting thread (made me think which is always a good thing!). I'd recommend it to other collectors (or selectors ;) )

I always watch how I post "selection" or "collection" after that particular thread. ;)

It is funny you should bring this up. I store all my binoculars and the cases on either side of the computer stand/setup that I am currently working on. The boxes fit quite nicely between the wall and the one side of the computer stand. They stack on top of each other and are hidden fairly well behind the side of the stand.

I am looking for a new place to put them though.

...and I alternate between "grab and go" binoculars where I have them all layed side by side on the printing stand to where I have certain models in their cases for a week or two before I pull them out again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back