• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Mixed Bag & a Surprise Finale......! (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

#Had a pleasant afternoon in the hot sun at Teesmouth,

~Where interesting birds included :-
Yellow Wagtails, Sparrowhawk, breeding Common Terns, various ducks, geese, grebes & swans with families. Reed & Sedge Warblers. Water rails calling noisily.

~Migrants included:-
Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Garganey, 40+Teal, 1Sandwich Tern.

~An interesting incident was:-
An adult Grey Heron catch & (eventually) kill & swallow a well grown Coot chick (at least half grown). Amazingly it went on to continue stalking for more food !

#Tea-Time & weather changed, a Strong Northerly Wind,
So an Hours Sea-Watching at Whitburn produced:-
Manx Shearwaters 2 s
Shag 1 n
Gannets 51 n
Common Scoter 12 s
Puffin 2 n
R.B.Merganser 3 n
Grt.Crested.Grebe 1 s
Razorbill 1 on sea.

Well, a slightly disappointing hour, so after filling in the observatory log book, i started on the 5 min walk back to the car.
Normally this walk is totally uneventfull at this time of year...........

BUT a NIGHTJAR swooping down of a pathside fence post was Unexpected to say the least !!!! :eek!:

You never know whats around the next corner.........

StevieEvans.

WOW...fab day or what!!! Some really nice stuff on your lists.

Is seawatching best if the wind is Northerly? I've never done any seawatching 'properly'...occasionally on a days' birding I'll spend an hour or so gazing out to sea through the scope but I've never actually looked at the weather forecast and thought it looked good for a bit of seawatching and set out to do just that. Certainly never been lucky enough to see Shearwaters!

Either way, sounds like a good day out...the weather was really nice up until teatime when we had spits of rain coming on and the wind picking up.

GILL

Cheers Michael... I remember reading that thread last year...just forgot about it...whoops!
May venture out tomorrow after all,whatever the weather, despite feeling rotten all week....one of my lovely (NOT!!!) workmates passed on her lurgy to me!!! I only get a cold once or twice a year and I just can't believe my bad luck in getting it when I'm on a week off!!! Bet I feel great on Saturday when I'm back at work...GGrrrrrr!!!!!

GILL

Whether or not to watch the weather....

Hey Michael !

Hows about you give us the nod when the conditions look favourable (especially for us NE coasters..)

I've given up trying to work out the weather patterns....

NB.At the moment though My Pair of England Flags on top of the truck are an instant indicator of wind strength & speed....!! ;)

Glad i went last night though, i can't think what that Nightjar was doing there?
A late migrant ? A failed breeder ?
It was just on th track south of last years Melod. Warb.

Stevie.

Andrew, I'm pretty happy with the ducks as most species had ducklings with them....

BUT, .....the Nightjar..........mmmmmmmmmm..........

Its a bit suspicious, it was at the rear of Brian Unwins (BWatchingMag) garden & i fear it may have been a remote control one....! ;) :eek!:

If i were you i'd do a TomMac & switch on the TV Disney Channel :-

You'd get Donald & Daffy straight off !!

2 More! (lol) ;)

No Storm Petrel or Corys Andrew ?

Regards Stevie

StevieEvans said:
If i were you i'd do a TomMac & switch on the TV Disney Channel :-

Cheers Stevie,

I never thought about doing that before! Should be a few ticks on there. Daffy, Donald, Rooster, the Vultures in Jungle Book... ;)

Sadly I only have four terrestrial channels, damn!

I do not want to peak too early and have planned a two dayer to the Scillies and Cornwall in August with a mate hoping for all the seabirds then. I shall keep an eye on Dawlish though for Balearics appearing.

Andrew said:
have planned a two dayer to the Scillies and Cornwall in August with a mate hoping for all the seabirds.

I'm on Scilly for the pelagics sometime in August - probably first week. You around then? It's usually pretty good. Plan on at least 3 evening trips to guarantee Wilson's.

tom mckinney said:
I'm on Scilly for the pelagics sometime in August - probably first week. You around then? It's usually pretty good. Plan on at least 3 evening trips to guarantee Wilson's.
Sadly we are not going for the pelagics. We are driving down to Land's End to do some seawatching from wherever the wind dictates then popping over to Scilly on the chopper for a day visit on the 6th August. Hopefully we will be able to bump into you. Really we do not expect anything to show, it is a first time visit for my mate but you never know. May a Semi-P?

I shall be back in September for a longer visit though.

Dare i say it...................

Ive Never been to the Scillies !

also..

I own a bright Red Cagule.....(NO i Dont- ........someone has hacked my PC!)

Andrew. How much is the Chopper flight?
Can you book it for just a flight out & get a boat back?

I have heard it (Scilies) can be an 'experience'..
SE.

StevieEvans said:
Ive Never been to the Scillies !
You have to rectify that as soon as you get the chance. It has a unique charm.

I love it for all the exotics on Porthloo Duck Pond!!!

How about a couple of weeks on the Outermost Farne then Michael...... ;)

Maybe we can sort something out for the autumn.....?

Scillies not Farnes i mean !

SE.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back