• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopro HD 8x32 vs Conquest and Kowa options (1 Viewer)

Thank you, it seems fairly certain (based on reading)that with the exception of some of the very first units that the Kowas are a tiny bit sharper and with less CA. I keep reading about a field that is flat enough to cause rolling ball (not super concerning) and a wierd trick where it loses focus at around 70-90% out from the middle and snaps back into focus at the very edge. That would probably bother me a lot if it looked like rings in my view.

Have you observed either issue in the 10x33?

I can't help with rolling ball as I have yet to see it. I tried hard to induce it with a pair of Zeiss FL I tried without success. So I'm either immune to it or am compensating for it without realising it (if that's possible).

I haven't seen the weird trick you mention or observed any rings. But of course everyone's eyes (and brains) are different.

I'm sorry neither of these answers help much.

I am blessed to have a 8x42 HT so I am a little uncertain if I need to spend the extra $400 for the conquests since this pair will be used rougher than I have the stones to do with my HT.

Hi

I also have an HT and I find Conquest HD 8x32 to be a great companion for it because the Conquest has a usefully faster focus and it is just brilliant in habitats where I am looking at butterflies and dragonflies in one moment and a distant hawk in the next and then back to a close-by warbler. The HT focuser isn't fast enough to do this although it is superior in other ways. I have reviewed the Meostar B1 8x32 and thought it was a lovely instrument although with a stiff focuser that felt so precise it was a pleasure to use but not for the purposes at which the Conquest excells. If you have seen that video where a Conquest gets mistreated, run over by a car and shot with a shotgun you will know it can take some beating too. A HT (or SF) + Conquest 8x32 is a great combo.

Lee

Hi

I also have an HT and I find Conquest HD 8x32 to be a great companion for it because the Conquest has a usefully faster focus and it is just brilliant in habitats where I am looking at butterflies and dragonflies in one moment and a distant hawk in the next and then back to a close-by warbler. The HT focuser isn't fast enough to do this although it is superior in other ways. I have reviewed the Meostar B1 8x32 and thought it was a lovely instrument although with a stiff focuser that felt so precise it was a pleasure to use but not for the purposes at which the Conquest excells. If you have seen that video where a Conquest gets mistreated, run over by a car and shot with a shotgun you will know it can take some beating too. A HT (or SF) + Conquest 8x32 is a great combo.

Lee
Do you find the focus speed detrimental to obtaining perfect focus? I am a bit of a focus twiddler/tweaker and as such I tend to like slow wheels with a speck of resistance.

Do you find the focus speed detrimental to obtaining perfect focus? I am a bit of a focus twiddler/tweaker and as such I tend to like slow wheels with a speck of resistance.

Absolutely not a problem. Out of habit from reading some focusing instructions from Zeiss way back in the 1970's I always deliberately overshoot on focus by a fraction and then come back by that fraction to get it perfect and I never have to fidget back and forth because of unwanted overshooting due to a focus that is too fast. For me it is perfect for this job and if James (who regularly posts here and is a professional user of bins) reads this I am sure he will endorse this because he uses Conq 8x32s in the same way.

Lee

Moving from a slow focus mechanism to a fast focus mechanism was not my preference but something I was able to adjust to after a little use. Now I wonder why anyone who watches moderate to fast moving objects wouldn't demand one?

I've often thought the resistance of the conquest hd focus mechanism could be a tad more than it is for my preference. However, since it is a fast focus it is likely set up as it should be.

I do not have issues with back and forth between over and under focus. But I think some do.

CG

I would be very interested but this purchase needs to happen through Eagle due to some credit there. Thanks
I would buy the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD then from Eagle Optics since you have credit there and then I would order the Tract Toric 8x42 from Trac and compare the two for awhile. You will see that the Toric is brighter and sharper than the Conquest and I think you will like the medium speed focuser better on the Toric better than the Zeiss's faster focuser. The Toric's focus speed is perfect and you don't overshoot it.You can then return the Zeiss since Eagle Optics has an easy return policy. Now you can pocket the $250.00 you just saved and you have a better pair of binoculars and use the extra money to buy yourself some Zeiss Terra's for beater binocuars. Just an idea.:king:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Terra...290133?hash=item4d4a6f4d95:g:zzIAAOSwFe5XzbnL

Last edited:
I would buy the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD then from Eagle Optics since you have credit there and then I would order the Tract Toric 8x42 from Trac and compare the two for awhile. You will see that the Toric is brighter and sharper than the Conquest and I think you will like the medium speed focuser better on the Toric better than the Zeiss's faster focuser. The Toric's focus speed is perfect and you don't overshoot it.You can then return the Zeiss since Eagle Optics has an easy return policy. Now you can pocket the $250.00 you just saved and you have a better pair of binoculars. Just an idea.:king:

I would have to agree 100% with denco's rec.

Jremmons, #5

I was reading around the forums and saw where you were initially fairly pleased with the MeoPro HD when you got it in February 2016. What experiences have soured your opinion?

Do you no longer rate them a hair above the Vipers?

I would probably now rate them level with the Viper HD series. I'm not sure exactly brought my opinion of them down, but if I had to point out a specific issue it would probably be ghosting/glare. They just don't seem to handle that aspect too well at all and, to me, it results in a less sharp image.

Order placed. I guess at this point between the HD and my HT I would have to grin and bear it if I were accused of being a Zeiss fanboy.

How do you like the ergos? It seems the conquests are considered clunky for 8x32. Btw, the strap lug on the MeoPro is a bit irritating to me. Does this bother you?
I am blessed to have a 8x42 HT so I am a little uncertain if I need to spend the extra $400 for the conquests since this pair will be used rougher than I have the stones to do with my HT.

You seem quite alarmed at the poor handling of stray light and glare in the MeoPro. Is this as severe as what is found in the little Nikon Monarch 7 8x30?

Hello Inquisitor.

Sorry to reply so late. I think you'll enjoy the Conquest HD. It's a good choice. To answer you questions, I never got around to trying the M7, so I can't comment on it's glare. But I found the Meopro HD's glare to be fairly pronounced. And reading Justin's comment above, I see that they never got around to fixing it. Concerning ergonomics, I've never had a problem with the Conquest. Plus, if the location of the strap lugs bothered you on the Meopro HD's then you might be happy to know that the Conquest HD's strap lugs are about 1/4" further back towards the ocular end. See pic....

Attachments

• DSCN1936.JPG
    DSCN1936.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 125
Thanks peatmoss and jremmons,

The main reasons I went with Zeiss was the strap lug placement and hopes of a bit bigger sweet spot and a hair better glare control. Harsh and low light is often present in my excursions.

I did not trust the different rings of focus I had read about in the kowa, and I tend to prefer curvature over a super flat field ( better central pop and impression of depth for me).

Thanks to all

Added: I may end up with a Tract model sometime but I do not intend to do Eagle that way.

Last edited:
This post will not reveal anything new but will be another voice of confidence and confirmation.

I have been using the new Conquest HD 8x32 pretty hard for several days. There is almost nothing subperb or exemplary about them but they seem to rank between a B+ to an A- in almost every area and on the whole they are a very fine field tool.

My pair only cost me an additional $250 over some credit I had nearly forgotten about so I am stoked.

I don't know if they are really worth the price new ( but what the heck is anymore) but I do like and recommend them. They come together in a very nice total package ( except for the objective covers).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back