• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

year and model of this bino (1 Viewer)

oracleman

Hi!
I have seen a eseller offering these binoculars, can you tell me year when manufactured and the exact model? (I mean they don't seem victory model,but I know).

209932333_1.jpg

Thanks a lot binogurus!!!

Hi binastro, that is exactly what i want to know.

I checked a lot of images on internet searching for "Zeiss b t 8x20" and none is like that. As the price is very good (200€, and is almost new) I wanted to get some confident opinions.

Thanks in advance

My Zeiss Catalog from 2005 shows a "Conquest Compact 8x20 T*" that looks very much like this one but its focus knob is on the left hinge and the Zeiss blue badge logo is located just below the top of the right hinge where the one pictured above reads "8x20 B T*.

A comment about it as follows says: "Because of its compact dimensions and intelligent Z-fold, the handy light-weight models fit into every shirt pocket."

Technical data given for it is: 10.83' Close Focus. 354'@1000yd FOV. Weight is 7.94 Oz. It is 3.62" high and 3.82" wide. Eye relief is not given for any binocular but a statement by Zeiss on the back page of the catalog says "Because of the optical design of Carl Zeiss the exit pupil is located at least 15mm behind the eyepiece."

The catalog part number for this binocular is 52 20 33.

I have a friend who has owned one of these above described binoculars for many years and he likes it very much. He bought it at the "going out of business" sale of a local outdoor sporting goods store.

Bob

Last edited:
It is a Conquest 8x20.

The reason the focus wheel and dioptre wheel appear to be on the wrong sides is because the picture is of the bottom of the binocular. The blue Zeiss badge is on the other side of the central housing.

gary

Thanks a lot guys!!! I was afraid it could be a fake...
And can you know the year of manufacture from the number of attached image?

Thanks in advance!

They don't seem to be made anymore. They are not shown on the Zeiss Sport Optics website.

It would be interesting to compare them with the new 8x25 Terra ED.

Bob

Hello Oracleman. I'm glad that garymh authenticated that unit. I was about to point out that the labeling differs slightly on my unit, which reads "8x20 T* Made by Carl Zeiss in Hungary".

Attachments

• DSCN1939.JPG
    DSCN1939.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 55
They don't seem to be made anymore. They are not shown on the Zeiss Sport Optics website.

It would be interesting to compare them with the new 8x25 Terra ED.

Bob

Maybe the terra would be a better option. Anyway this conquest are quite cheap(2nd hand). we'll see...

Regards

Hello Oracleman. I'm glad that garymh authenticated that unit. I was about to point out that the labeling differs slightly on my unit, which reads "8x20 T* Made by Carl Zeiss in Hungary".

Thanks Peatmoss, mmm, I don't know. Maybe there are slightly different models with diferent labeling (I hope so).

I post first impressions next week after they arrive.

Regards

Thanks Peatmoss, mmm, I don't know. Maybe there are slightly different models with diferent labeling (I hope so).

I post first impressions next week after they arrive.

Regards

Hello oracleman. The "B" designation printed on your label would imply that it is more appropriate for eyeglass wearers than my model without the "B".

If your binocular has rubber eyecups , which it should have, then it is the 'B' model - even if it does not say 'B' on the badge.

In more recent production Zeiss have stopped putting the 'B' designation on their binoculars. One reason for this is that every binocular manufactured today can be used with glasses so there is no real need to publicise the fact.

Gary,

I presume that you mean that every Zeiss binocular can be used with glasses, and I doubt if that can be disputed. However I question that all glasses users can use the binos without cutting off the view.

Roger Vine of scope views said of the Victory 10x42 SFs "I measured eye relief at 18mm from the rim of the cup – exactly as claimed and very good, so I can comfortably see the whole field with glasses on. That’s a critical few millimetres more real-world eye relief than the ELs (even though Swarovski claim 20mm for them)."

My recently bought 7x42 Dialyt ClassiCs also had a specified eye relief of 18mm, but that is nowhere near enough for me. However, by removing the eyecups and replacing them with an oil seal, I can see the whole view and the bins are wonderful.

I understand, however, that the current ISO standard measures from the outstanding centre of the ocular to the focus point where the fov is greatest. Is the 18 mm quoted above as being as stated by Zeiss from the rim or the ocular?

If from the rim I am surprised that Zeiss does not advertise this as the effective eye relief. I had written off Zeiss bins but, maybe I can change my mind.

I knew somebody who had a pair of these and for birding I'd steer clear. They have a very narrow field of view and you will be constantly frustrated trying to pick things up in flight and dense vegetation. Also 8x20 suggests mediocre performance in low light. Don't be tempted by the Zeiss badge: I'm sure these are very good for general purpose use but definitely not for birding.

Hi,

they are the best for birding when you didn't know you would be birding and thus didn't pack your real bins...

Joachim

Hi,

they are the best for birding when you didn't know you would be birding and thus didn't pack your real bins...

Joachim

Yep, I agree. That's exactly one of the points why I'm interested on compacts. I had discoveries on 8x32 and they were really great: Good performance on low light, wide enoght and light, but not compact at all.

This binos will be in my jacket all the time ( if they are ok, that's what I hope xD)

Thanks in advance

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back