• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swaro SV's 10x42 vs. 10x50 (1 Viewer)

I'm not as talented in expressing technicalities of optics and how they differ, but I owned the 10x42 SV and 10x50SV at the same time. I found the 10x42SV to be the best of that configuration that I had ever used. There is something special about the 10x50 though that makes it superior to my 55 yr old eyes. The immersive view (as mentioned), the view that makes you feel like you are in the picture, not looking at it, almost a 3D like view if possible in a roof. All of that makes the 10x50SV the finest glass I've ever seen, used, owned, etc and I've been fortunate to see most of the high end stuff.

That being said, if you don't have them side by side I doubt you'll ever know what your missing. I could happily hunt with a 10x42 SV and never look back. Mount those 10x50's on a tripod though......WOW!
"I'm not as talented in expressing technicalities of optics and how they differ." You are talented at knowing when a binocular is a good one though. I have been using your Trac Toric 8x42 recommendation more than my SV. In fact I am selling the SV 8x32. The Trac pans better without any RB, is more glare resistant, and I really like the focus speed and tension and the eye cups fit my eyes like a glove. Thanks for the advice on that one.:t:

"SV 10x42 close focus is one of the best at 4.9 ft. SV 10x50 is at 9.2 ft. A huge deal if you want to admire butterflies or the rapidly spreading athletes foot infection on your toes That and the extra weight makes the 10x50 unattractive to me in spite of the optical prowess. You made the right choice."

If you want to look at butterflies or foot infection get a Pentax Papilio. The 10x50 SV is not the proper tool for that.:-O

Last edited:
Trac Toric 8x42 .......... eye cups fit my eyes like a glove. :t:

Dennis:

You just can't sell your EL SV 8x32, its a Bird Forum icon.

As for eye cups fitting like a glove: I think I know what you mean but the picture your phrase creates is unfortunate. What do you do with all the fingers and don't tell me the middle finger is straight up :-O

Lee

"I'm not as talented in expressing technicalities of optics and how they differ." You are talented at knowing when a binocular is a good one though. I have been using your Trac Toric 8x42 recommendation more than my SV. In fact I am selling the SV 8x32. The Trac pans better without any RB, is more glare resistant, and I really like the focus speed and tension and the eye cups fit my eyes like a glove. Thanks for the advice on that one.:t:

The Tract Toric instantly moves into the position of ''world's best birding binocular.''

Triple LOL.

The Tract Toric instantly moves into the position of ''world's best birding binocular.''

Triple LOL.

Yeah, well at least denco has the cahones' to admit it. Most "alpha owners" (I am one BTW) tend to tell everyone else how perfect they are, even if something is better. An ego thing, ya know? Fact is, nowadays $500 glass can be better than any alpha glass 10 years ago.

Yeah, well at least denco has the cahones' to admit it. Most "alpha owners" (I am one BTW) tend to tell everyone else how perfect they are, even if something is better. An ego thing, ya know? Fact is, nowadays $500 glass can be better than any alpha glass 10 years ago.

No disputing that but Dennis will not have the Tract for long - history has repeated itself about 20 times here....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back