• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird id pakistan (1 Viewer)

amazing! the bird book i have says that crested serpent eagles dont occur in pakistan. if it is..then......its either very rare

Could the species be overlooked in NE/E Pakistan? (Seems a bit odd to me the sp. being a vagrant to P. when it's a fairly common species in wooded areas in NW India.)

Maybe surveys of birds/raptors is not the most common "thing" in Pakistan and the information is not up to date? (Or it might just be me who has a prejudice opinon on Pakistan?)

Could the species be overlooked in NE/E Pakistan? (Seems a bit odd to me the sp. being a vagrant to P. when it's a fairly common species in wooded areas in NW India.)

Maybe surveys of birds/raptors is not the most common "thing" in Pakistan and the information is not up to date? (Or it might just be me who has a prejudice opinon on Pakistan?)

Yes Lappkrabban agree with you the surveys are not up to date it is nothing to do with a prejudice opinon....one of my Doctor friend(from Pakistan) who i meet at a meeting at Singpore last year said the same and he said the surveys on Reptors wasnt up to date...he is a good birder....it is a Creasted Serpent Eagle..:t:

I have been lucky enough to see many raptors in Pakistan

1. ospreys in May and July

2. many large birds of prey which are unidentifiable

3. the best place to see raptors was the balochistan province

there does need to be more work done on birds there .....

I thought the above bird was an eagle as its brown - i was not sure what type of eagle though but someone suggested honeybuzzard - lloooking at the back feathers they looked honey buzzard-sh so i thought maybe

but the colour was somewhat different and even its tail looks smaller. nice to get a surprise id once in a while....

there are some bird books on pakistan - and as far as i remember not many have mentionned this species. one released recently ie early this year by ZB Mirza does not mention it. im sure DR T J Roberts birds of pakistan does not mention it other than a vagrant. if the bird is common in Gujarat its possible that it did not cross over because of the desert. if it occurs in the indian punjab then i dont know why it would miss out the pakistani punjab although many species that are found within india....might only be found within the north-eastern parts of pakistan......especially a lot of the oriental species.....in places such ass the margalla hills national park, the muree hills, the kaghan valley and pakistani kashmir......rather than the indus plains.....

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back