• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help me to id a bird by description (1 Viewer)

bigal

I live in lincoln,Nebraska and work at the local airport as a mechanic .I generally see quite a few bird many of which fly in and out of the hanger regularly.The hanger is quite large 50,000+ sq ft.
lately theres been a large bird (as compared to the other bird we usually get).This bird has a hawklike head and sounds like a a bird of prey also. Its aprx 10-14" in length its wings have very distinct markings both wings have a white stripe bordered by 2 smaller black stripes which are in the center of each wings lower surface and run parallel to the body of the bird.it has a dark grey base colr to the rest of the body. The bird chases bugs in the air and does glide but mostly flaps (mind you this bird is inside of an enclosed hanger.).also since this bird arrived a few days ago no other bird go in the hanger.
Thanks for any assistance in helping me figure out this bird.Sorry i dont have a picture in sure it would have been easier to figure out.

Alex J (bigAL)

Al, take a look at Common Nighthawk.

bigal said:
I live in lincoln,Nebraska and work at the local airport as a mechanic .I generally see quite a few bird many of which fly in and out of the hanger regularly.The hanger is quite large 50,000+ sq ft.
lately theres been a large bird (as compared to the other bird we usually get).This bird has a hawklike head and sounds like a a bird of prey also. Its aprx 10-14" in length its wings have very distinct markings both wings have a white stripe bordered by 2 smaller black stripes which are in the center of each wings lower surface and run parallel to the body of the bird.it has a dark grey base colr to the rest of the body. The bird chases bugs in the air and does glide but mostly flaps (mind you this bird is inside of an enclosed hanger.).also since this bird arrived a few days ago no other bird go in the hanger.
Thanks for any assistance in helping me figure out this bird.Sorry i dont have a picture in sure it would have been easier to figure out.

Alex J (bigAL)

Hi, Alex,

On behalf of the Admin and Moderator staff at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you!

I'd agree with what Strix said about your bird being a common nighthawk. That underwing stripe is very distinctive. Nice bird to get to see up close!

Hi Alex,

I'm leaning towards Loggerhead Shrike - white wing patches, bird of prey style of head and it would certainly scare off the other birds as they will also take small birds - only a little smaller than the bird suggested. It's also a bird of open country so an airport might make a good home have a look and see what you think.

Luke

Last edited:
There was a post (I'll try to find it) about someone finding a nightjar-type bird in a house under construction in the Phoenix area. I wouldn't have thought they'd be inside buildings, either, but an airplane hangar is so huge with an "airspace" all its own, Alex's bird being inside doesn't surprise me.

Heck, again in Phoenix, the removable dome on the football stadium has allowed kestrels to roost inside, and when games are played, they zoom around the lights, catching moths and whatever else happens to be flying. More fun to watch than the game! ;)

I thank everyone who responded to my original post .it was indeed a nighthawk and by nighthawk standards I'd say hes a good sized adult . quite a striking bird in person the internet pictures do it no justice. I may have to get my feathered friend to pose for a few pics since he makes himself so available for photo ops.thanks agian im glad I know now what it is .

Hey, Alex, if you do get a photo, please post it if you can, I'm sure lots of people would love to see it. I know I would!

Maybe we should start a new area of the Gallery entitled "Bird-friendly Buildings". ;) The two Phoenix birds, Alex's hangar bird, the Pale Male of Central Park, etc., etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back