• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kaleidoscope software (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi

Anyone have any experience of this for bat ID, particularly the latest version, I'm thinking of buying the new Echo Meter 2 to connect to my iphone and this seems to be the software sold with it

Any thoughts anyone

Thanks

David

Hi David,

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say I am thinking of buying the new Echo Meter Touch 2 Pro myself for a forthcoming bat survey, so am also very interested in any replies about the Kaleidoscope Software your post generates.

I too am thinking about the EMT2.

One interesting point for me, based in Australia, is that all the publications on identification of bat calls seem to have used Anabat detectors. So I think that in order to be able to compare an EMT recording to one made with an Anabat, I would need to import the recordings to Kaleidoscope and then convert to a zero crossing file. Does anyone know if this sounds correct? I know EMT and Kaleidoscope have automatic identification functions, but not for Australian species.

One of the other BF members, Hermitibis, i think, found a software package called bat explorer

http://www.batlogger.com/en/real-time-systems/software.html

It is designed for the bat logger hardware, but is free, and works ok on single files from other detectors. (I'm having fun with it using a ciel detector).
It has automatic identification which works reasonably well. I struggle with the auto-identification because a lot of my recordings are from remote sessions, so I haven't pointed the detector at the bat, and as a result, I'm often working with faint signals.

Well i think I'll order the Echo Meter 2 and jump in, I think it's a case of getting in somewhere to some extent and
learning by trial and error. I suppose using other software will help confirm or otherwise species ID

I have recently bought some mixed deciduous and coniferous woodland, with a stream, woodland rides and an access road bordered by woodland so I'm hoping to pick up several species. if anyone is in North Yorkshire and is interested in helping out or offering some advice i'd be interested in talking

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back