• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help with ID's from Utah US (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Can anyone please help with identifing these 4 little ones taken last week at various places in Utah

1st was taken in Moab
2nd taken in Zion NP
3rd taken in Saint George
4th also taken in Saint George

All help is appreciated
Debbie

Attachments

• DSC01894 EMAIL- Negro Bill Tail - Moab -2DO.jpg
    DSC01894 EMAIL- Negro Bill Tail - Moab -2DO.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03244  EMAIL KANAB.jpg
    DSC03244 EMAIL KANAB.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC03819 Saint George-Ut -EMAIL 2DO.jpg
    DSC03819 Saint George-Ut -EMAIL 2DO.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC03932 EMAIL st george 2DO.jpg
    DSC03932 EMAIL st george 2DO.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 113
Debbie Hi,

Will take a stab... 1) Brown Crested Flycatcher. 2) Western Kingbird.
3) Savannah Sparrow and 4) juv. lesser Goldfinch...I think?

cheers

I was thinking ash-throated for the first (better on range and bill size)
not sure on second
perhaps lincoln's sparrow on the third, although I would like to see a little more colour in the breast and malar. Much too gray for savannah I think
agree with female lesser on fourth.

Scott

I vote for...
1. Ash-throated Flycatcher
2. shape makes me think Ash-throated, but coloration does not
3. Song Sparrow
4. Lesser Goldfinch

No. 2 appears to have white outer tail margins...hence my suggestion of Western Kingbird....have since looked at 'Western' Song Sparrow am amazed at the structural difference of the bill over it's Eastern counterpart, also I think Ash-Throated is a better call.

cheers

#3 might be Song Sparrow.

You are probably right, but the streaking is so fine and crisp, and it seems to end abruptly, and the bill is dainty and pointed looking. How do these traits weigh against the lack of colour that we would expect for lincoln's?

Scott

edit: Ken has already addressed the bill issue.

1&2 Ash-throated Fly (the only Myarchius in Utah; head pattern wrong for Kingbird, inter alia)
3 Song Sparrow with oddly thin breast streaking (note also uniformly gray bill, not light or bicolored as in Lincoln's)
4 Lesser Goldfinch

Best,
Jim

You are probably right, but the streaking is so fine and crisp, and it seems to end abruptly, and the bill is dainty and pointed looking. How do these traits weigh against the lack of colour that we would expect for lincoln's?

Scott

Scott -

Although this is fine streaking for a Song sparrow - a Lincoln's streaks would be still a bit daintier - not as blotchy as these streaks are- and would be blackish. A Lincoln's is golden buffy where it is streaked at the upper breast. The buffy color ends abruptly as well as the streaking and contrasts with the rest of the breast. Here the streaking is on a white breast, and it is brownish.

The face of this bird is a typical song sparrow. It is gray both above and below the eye, and has no eye ring.

A Lincolns would be gray above the eye, but golden buffy in the auriculars, and the submoustachial stripe would be buffy - not white. The Lincoln's eye ring, although fine and buffy, is still pronounced enough in the field to give it a "wide-eyed" look.

I think in general, field guides do a poor job with the Lincoln's. Its more distinctive in the field than they lead you to believe.

Jim...how do you account for the contrasting pale outer tail margins on image 2 for Ash Throated?

cheers

Thanks from me as well. It's been too long since I've seen a Lincoln's. I had forgotten about the eye-ring and the bicoloured bill. I was aware of the buffy parts and wondered if this bird was just pale, but I'm thoroughly convinced of song now.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back