• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hands on with new Mavens (1 Viewer)

Usually a Leica will have excellent color rendition. Those Blackline's outside of a smaller FOV sound like pretty good binoculars and they are exceptionally small which is very nice. If you have a big sweet spot a 390 foot FOV wouldn't be too limiting.

I just wanted to note that the Leupold is quite small too. It is slightly shorter than the Leica. It is somewhat thicker because of its rubber covered exterior and it weighs about 2 ounces less at 649 grams. Despite this it gives one the impression of a substantial binocular in the hand.

The Leica though, with its combination hard black leather covered glossy black metal objective tubes and oculars exudes "class.":king:

Bob

Go back in time and search through some posts....you have no idea.

This is exactly why I have not posted here much. No good can come from feeding internet trolls. I keep checking and if there is a post worthy of some optical discussion on the Maven's, I'll respond ;). I have not left the building.

Last edited:
The B3 6x30 is essentially nothing more than a 6x version of the 8x30 I have. If you are interested in a compact roof with excellent optics, then this needs a look. I also have one of these coming for review.
Steve , I am interested in the eye relief of the B3 6x30. When compared to the B3 8x30 ... is much better / Worse ?????

I don't know about the eye relief, but I want to respectfully yet strongly disagree with the "nothing more" characterization of the 6x versus the 8x.

The 6x30 will have a 5 mm exit pupil, which will make them ergonomically a world away from the 8x30s - much easier eye placement. My biggest complaint with the B3s is that it took me a long time to get good, repeatable eye placement.

I am concerned about the diopter compensation, though, or I would already have a set of the 6s on the way to my niece. Only being able to do two diopters plus or minus is a problem. It literally means I would want to know her eyeglass prescription before I bought her these.

I'll ask the folks at Maven if they have any options there. That's also the problem with the 7x45s, which otherwise look pretty awesome.

However, these guys do diopter compensation by means of a rotating ring on the right barrel, so there may be more flexibility than the center focus/center diopter binoculars offer.

I don't know about the eye relief, but I want to respectfully yet strongly disagree with the "nothing more" characterization of the 6x versus the 8x.

The 6x30 will have a 5 mm exit pupil, which will make them ergonomically a world away from the 8x30s - much easier eye placement. My biggest complaint with the B3s is that it took me a long time to get good, repeatable eye placement.

I am concerned about the diopter compensation, though, or I would already have a set of the 6s on the way to my niece. Only being able to do two diopters plus or minus is a problem. It literally means I would want to know her eyeglass prescription before I bought her these.

I'll ask the folks at Maven if they have any options there. That's also the problem with the 7x45s, which otherwise look pretty awesome.

However, these guys do diopter compensation by means of a rotating ring on the right barrel, so there may be more flexibility than the center focus/center diopter binoculars offer.

I did not specifically check the diopter adjustment, but I would be real surprised if it was only two diopters of adjustment. I have a call in to check.

The 6x does have more eye relief than the 8x.

This is exactly why I have not posted here much. No good can come from feeding internet trolls. I keep checking and if there is a post worthy of some optical discussion on the Maven's, I'll respond ;). I have not left the building.

Hey Steve...
I for one appreciate really your opinions and reviews. Lots of insight and good information in each one you do. The same can be said for several here that continue to actually contribute and post really good information. Thanks..

The Maven binocular that sparks my interest is the B1 in either magnification. I can't remember if you've looked at these before. It would be interesting to see how they compared with say a Trinovid and/or a Conquest... Thoughts?

Hey Steve...
I for one appreciate really your opinions and reviews. Lots of insight and good information in each one you do. The same can be said for several here that continue to actually contribute and post really good information. Thanks..

The Maven binocular that sparks my interest is the B1 in either magnification. I can't remember if you've looked at these before. It would be interesting to see how they compared with say a Trinovid and/or a Conquest... Thoughts?

I have a Maven B1 10x42. The easy on the eyes image is bright, sharp, natural, and colorful. It will satisfy 99% of users for its optics. The question as to how it compares...well I prefer the image of the Maven to the Conquest, but prefer the ergonomics of the Conquest. It might take some deciding between the Trinovid and the B1. I would say the image of the Trinovid is a bit better than the Conquest, but not everybody will agree here, just too many people see things differently. I somewhat prefer the ergonomics of the Trinovid, and I was impressed by the Trinovids I saw on display here recently. Image quality might be too close to call for some. The space between the barrels of the B1 is a tad on the narrow size for my liking. I don't know what these are like without the armor, so I can't say if an armor style narrower on the inside of the barrels would help. I would have no issues if the B1 was an only binocular. I prefer the B2 by quite a margin over the B1. The B2 ergonomics far outweigh whatever weight issues I might have. The B2 simply does not feel as heavy as the scale says it is. That and the smaller B3 are my preferred combination right now, but I could easily do with the B1 and B3 combo.

Here is a brief review I did on the B3 & the Conquest HD. Not the sizes and models you are looking for, but maybe something worth noting.

"Hi,

I think I would have to agree with this suggestion.

Sounds like hiking portability, optics, and price are the criteria.

The 8x30's beat the 8x32 Conquest HD in weight and size, and also price. From what is posted on the net, it sounds like the Kite is slightly better optically than the Nikon, with none of them sub quality optically... but maybe the conquest getting the higher marks.

I have the conquest hd 8x32, have looked thru the Nikon 8x30 in stores, have never seen the Kite Lynx HD, and have a Maven B3 8x30. (I suspect the Kite is closer to the Maven than the Nikon).

Of the bunch, I would recommend the Maven B3 8x30 as the best fit for your criteria. It's size, weight, and optic quality combine to make it a great hiking companion, and it is within your budget.

Some general comments on the conquest hd. First, I've always seen my conquest hd as a hair less contrasty than most binoculars. I've only had the B3 for a short time but feel it has a bit more contrast which makes the overall image pop more and gives a slightly better sense of 3D. I've also noticed in flat light (overcast day looking at the crotch of a tree trunk beneath its canopy) that I was able to see more detail with the B3 than the Conquest HD. I still think the conquest has the bigger sweet spot, may possibly be a slight hair sharper (may be that the weight helps me hold steadier), and is easier and more comfortable for me to use than the 8x30 format. Also, the conquest HD has some sticky eyecups (read as sub par for operation/movement) which will be annoying if you adjust your eyecups regularly vs leaving them extended all the time.

Hope this helps,

CG

P.S. I also have the 8x30 EII. I don't find its size conducive for backpacking day hikes so it stays at home, but it may be the better optics of the bunch."

I too appreciate Steve's reviews....

Actually surprised the reactions of some and the direction this thread has gone...

My .02,

CG

I didn't mean to start a war on Maven or Steve's reviews, for what it's worth - in fact, before some recent medical issues came up, I was considering a purchase of the 9x or 11x45 B2. I just thought it worth pointing out that the FoV in combination with the size, weight, and price may make the 7x45 less than ideal for some.

Last edited:
Did Steve leave the building?
I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked if Steve had left the building. It just seemed the thread suddenly died and Steve stopped answering questions. The thread is actually quite interesting. It sounded like there may have been a little frustration in his remarks over the negative comments on the 7x45's B2 smaller FOV and the continual speculation that the Maven is some type of Brunton clone. Heh, that kind of stuff is to be expected. If you are going to review binoculars you have to endure the naysayers. Actually, I am quite interested in the Maven's and I might try the 9x45 B2. I like it's AFOV at 9x and big exit pupil and I am sure it would be impressive. If I do I will review it compared to my 10x50 SV. That would be a pretty good comparison. Maybe I could get a demo. I think it would help promote the binocular if you had several opinions and reviews with it being so new especially from people that have alpha binoculars to compare it with and have a lot of experience with a lot of different binoculars.

Last edited:
IMO, Steve spent a big chunk of the thread starter saying "specs printed on paper do not mean much unless you've also looked through the glass."

a ton of folks then began a very spec focused explanation of why they thought the glass was priced just about right relative to various competitors, and why that meant they weren't interested.

I will say this about maven: when I contacted them, they were genuinely interested in finding out what I meant and understanding the question.

I did not get a similar read on my call with swarovski.

of course at Maven I was speaking to a principal at a new, small company. at swaro I was speaking to a person taking helpdesk calls, inquiring about repairs to 12 year old glass bought second hand. I think if I'd explained the issue in an accompanying note, they'd have fixed them.

but I'm very likely to wind up with b2s all the same, rather than rolling the dice on another of the pre-sv Els or buying SLCs new.

The impression I got out of this was Steve said these are pretty nice and deserve a look, that regardless of the specs, they are good. Then a lot of folks seemed to say they did not need to look thru them to know they were not up to pretty nice standards. That completely bewilders me because most seem like smart folks.

I'm left thinking it is pretty much wasted effort to review anything that doesnt have extraordinary specs, because evidently, thats all there is to optics.

Wow, this Denco guy is something else....

Amazing we see this from a very new poster. Sometimes we see reaction to dennis over worry of what deleterious effect he might have on some new poster, Here is a prime example of a new poster seeing through him immediately.

I didn't mean to start a war on Maven or Steve's reviews, for what it's worth - in fact, before some recent medical issues came up, I was considering a purchase of the 9x or 11x45 B2. I just thought it worth pointing out that the FoV in combination with the size, weight, and price may make the 7x45 less than ideal for some.

So Justin, I see yours as a reaction that I see as typical, and was what I more or less expected the direction of the thread to take. I do not intend to be critical of your view point here, but trust me here if you actually (or anyone else for that matter...or anyone else not named dennis) looked through the 7x45 B2...that was not marked for fov,.. you would almost certainly see it as over 400',

I don't see you as starting or trying to start a war. dennis is the responsible party (maybe that should be irresponsible party). dennis is just being dennis and doing all it is he knows how to do. Why BF allows dennis to be dennis here is another matter. He is if course entitled to have his opinions. I am not required to support his particular expressions of such...regardless of how often they change.

The impression I got out of this was Steve said these are pretty nice and deserve a look, that regardless of the specs, they are good. Then a lot of folks seemed to say they did not need to look thru them to know they were not up to pretty nice standards. That completely bewilders me because most seem like smart folks.

I'm left thinking it is pretty much wasted effort to review anything that doesnt have extraordinary specs, because evidently, thats all there is to optics.

The first sentence was the intent of the post. I am glad to see somebody got the point. :t:

I expected the second sentence, even to the inevitable intrusion of our troll..

I am beginning to think your last sentence is absolutely correct. I am at the point where I sometimes wonder if this is worth the effort. B :)

Last edited:
Amazing we see this from a very new poster. Sometimes we see reaction to dennis over worry of what deleterious effect he might have on some new poster, Here is a prime example of a new poster seeing through him immediately.

I have made a point of this in the past, but was shouted down by ''free-speech'' supporters.

I personally think it bogs down the forum and discourages discussion, especially from newbies that will be put off with all the rhetoric and hyperbole coming from one source. Any other forum I have been on [the mods] would have taken action ages ago. Look at Lume - banned after just a few days for claiming to be Jedi knight...or Sith or something, can't quite remember now.

dennis is just being dennis and doing all it is he knows how to do. Why BF allows dennis to be dennis here is another matter.

The reason why BF allows Dennis to be Dennis is because his posts are not full of pontification and/or denigration of others. He does not lie in wait and then attack others such as sometimes seen here. Yes, he does have his opinions and he is not shy about posting them in reply to others, but I haven't seen him to be insulting.

I don't pay any attention to his opinions, especially when he compares an inexpensive bino to one that costs over ten times as much and then pronounces the cheap one to not be as good, but posting an often unusual (and sometimes entertaining) set of opinions and evaluations should not be a reason to be banned from a discussion forum.

It's thread derailments, or thread take-overs that annoy. That and pushing the latest and greatest, endlessly. Most forums do not allow this - it's not a matter of ''it doesn't bother me'', it's a matter of playing within the rules laid out for all of us to follow.

Just think if the rest of the forum started to emulate - we would have nothing but ''mine is bigger than yours''. I really don't understand the idea that we should give latitude for certain posters, especially when that latitude [extended to all] would eventually ruin this place completely.

And I don't think banning would be suggested by most - more of some positive encouragement to temper cheerleading and to allow threads to take their own course, without needless and repetitive intrusions.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back