• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned Hummingbirds in storm UPDATE; STILL URGENT: Formula for baby hummers, etc (1 Viewer)

carol C

We have taken the birds in; the conditions have only been worsening. We have a nest made by the same female from a previous year; we will use that as a proxy in case the mother returns, until we re-attatch the branch in the morning (before sunup; hopefully the mother will not fly until there is adequate light). We know there are legal ramifications for this, but leaving them out there was endangering their survival. Now, we need to know several things to ensure their survival until morning:
1) what do baby hummingbirds eat, and how can we simulate their diet!
--They are not responding to sugar water; is it the diet or the lack of a mother, and how do we simulate?
2) How warm should we keep them? They are in their nest; we are tryign to keep them warm through lightbulb heat. How many watts are necessary, in your estimate?
We really need help; we are doubting they could have survived the strom, but we do not want to cause their deaths, either. PLEASE REPLY!

Hello Carol,

As far as I know baby hummers are fed on tiny insects. How you simulate that I wouldn't know - how about contacting San Diego zoo and ask them?

Good luck,

H

Yes...I would advise contacting a wildlife rehabilitation center.

Some pet stores do sell fruit flies (poison dart frogs and baby herps will eat them), but honestly I think your change of keeping them alive by yourself is pretty remote.

I think your other thread had some info. Buy or catch some flys, grind them up and feed with dropper in a water solution. Dont touch them though

I mean the birds, not the flies right..... you thought I meant the flies? not the birds? Cause of like mum returning and being annoyed, and...... well im not sure anymore. I guess you have to touch the flies, they may have been found on some poo though so wear gloves. Just be hygenic ok

I mean the birds, not the flies right..... you thought I meant the flies? not the birds? Cause of like mum returning and being annoyed, and...... well im not sure anymore. I guess you have to touch the flies, they may have been found on some poo though so wear gloves. Just be hygenic ok

No, I thought you meant the nestlings. But don’t worry about it, I catch your drift (sort of). ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back