• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uist Garden Birds (1 Viewer)

Got to agree with the others; There's some wonderful work on here. I'm particularly enamoured with the black and whites that you opened with and the prat flight studies.

Mike

Have succumbed to the lure of the waxwing.....couple of different birds in the garden over the last week or so feeding on apples I've put out.

Birds not enjoying the mix of soggy wet and blustery weather.

Also the last month-ish has seen an influx of long-tailed tits in the islands of which 4 visited the garden.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• wwltt_1.jpg
    wwltt_1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 75
  • blustery ww_1.jpg
    blustery ww_1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 78
  • soggy ww_1.jpg
    soggy ww_1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 78
A very impressive bit of pencil and pen work there andrew. All these pics of Waxwings and cant get off work to go see them local. I was treated to a flyby perhaps im being greedy

Attack of the Big White Budgies

Been busy with other things for the last wee while inc a trip to Peru but the Uists have had a mini influx of white gyr falcons this winter.

One around my house in November, followed by a dead bird found on Barra a short while later; and two different birds initially in quick succession on North Uist (one had growing inner primaries). One of these birds then moved to South Uist but there was also a sighting on North Uist the other day, so there may be two still or just one very mobile bird.

A couple of sketches and pen drawing attached.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 001_1.jpg
    001_1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 003_1.jpg
    003_1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 69
Very nice work in this thread! I was not active on the forum when you started this thread, so just discovered it with today's post. Hope to see more.

Couple of not quite Uist birds after a recent trip to Peru, with the daylight stretching the local golden eagles are getting very active...hurtling around in display....real signs of spring.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• b-t trainbearer_1.jpg
    b-t trainbearer_1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 53
  • orange-breasted falcon_1.jpg
    orange-breasted falcon_1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 57
  • golden eagle_1.jpg
    golden eagle_1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 62
Finally managed to get around to doing something on the 1st winter drake harlequin that's been up on North Uist. Often stays a bit distant probably something to do with the otters that are regularly on the shore and have been seen going for it.

Looking quite smart for a 1st winter but hopefully it'll stay a bit longer and fully moult in.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• harlequin1_1.jpg
    harlequin1_1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 63
Finally managed to get around to doing something on the 1st winter drake harlequin that's been up on North Uist. Often stays a bit distant probably something to do with the otters that are regularly on the shore and have been seen going for it.

Looking quite smart for a 1st winter but hopefully it'll stay a bit longer and fully moult in.

cheers, Andrew

Lovely sketch of a cracking bird Andrew, you've done it justice.

My must-see bird (but I think I'll wait til I can see it from the sitting room) - very fine piece this Andrew - really lovely.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back