• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

stopped off a fairburn ings then realised why i dont like it here and went to wykeham 1 honey buzzard,also red kite and buzzard at south cave.
re.blacktoft if you go across the river to faxfleet you can see most of the birds specially raptors and beared tits.

Went out yesterday to Scalby mills. Watched for about an hour as the gulls came in to bath on the brook "estuary". Scrutinised them but i couldn't turn any of the Herring Gulls or Lesser Black-backed Gulls into Yellow-legged Gulls. No terns unfortuanately but a few Black-headed Gulls and Kittiwakes. Got some really close views of the Kittiwakes and could really tell how small they are. Slightly odd sight of a Grey Heron putting all the gulls up (must have been 300 gulls) and proceding to chase fry round the rocks. Also a Great Cormorant with an eel wrapped round its head. Went for a walk through the scrub on the cliff top with a few finches and bits. Was a Song Thrush doing some of the best mimicry ive heard, Swallows, Curlew and Redshank in the same breathe plus imitations of the Blackbird sat next to it in the gorse. Decided to try Wykeham raptor watcpoint and scored my first raptor there. It was a female Kestrel. I have seen a total of 3 birds from that watchpoint ever. Woodpigeon, Swift and Kestrel. Doh! probably just haven't the patience. Then i went to Thornton Dale to play cricket and got a PB of 78*.

sonic said:
stopped off a fairburn ings then realised why i dont like it here and went to wykeham 1 honey buzzard,also red kite and buzzard at south cave.
re.blacktoft if you go across the river to faxfleet you can see most of the birds specially raptors and beared tits.

Whats wrong with fairburn? Not been there myslef, always thought about a trip..

Recently at Rodley NR

Reed warbler
, singing outside hide three and kingfisher back on the reserve. Also the common sands keeps popping over from the river, interestingly Pete Colley thought he had a spotted 'common sand', but didn't have his scope that day - the one that got away.

There's also a dodgey looking ringed teal, that almost had me jumping when I first saw it skulking in the swamp. Common terns now also confimred to be breeding

Pretty quiet down there though, fingers crossed for green sand this weekend!

Attachments

• rod2.JPG
    rod2.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 844
Whats wrong with fairburn? Not been there myslef, always thought about a trip.

whats good about it!, everything is miles away,the roadside flashes have no parking or places to view from,no footpath from the car park,and cars drive too fast along the road.
rant over! its not that bad seen and found some good birds over the years at fairburn, great place as a kid going by train and bike,i think getting a car made me want to explore yorkshire more and find my favourite places, like north cave(great place,friendly birders a good views)paull holme strays is also a favourite,the new site near welwick should be good soon.
where else i think birding most of the time on the pennines has given me an aversion to hides and proper reserves,take paull holme 70+ avocets on sunday no hides birds less than 100yds away.brilliant

Did an hour at Bank Island today for some birdtrack counts. Reasonably quiet but a high count of 106 Lapwing. Also of note was a female Teal which was a surprise due to lack of water. A single Redshank and also my first Bullfinch since the spring. For a couple of years i have been gripped off by my where to watch birds in Yorkshire book. It mentions categorically that Kingfisher are present on the Derwent between Bank Island and Wheldrake Ings so EVERY time i get to a likely spot out the back of the Cheesecake hide i always take a few minutes to watch for one zooming by. I had never seen anything remotely Kingfisher shaped zoom by and after 2 years i had pretty much given up. Today was watching a tit flock on the far bank and through my bins a blue whoosh. Not a great view but an overwhelming sense of relief. I did have the right spot afterall! :D So patch tick, not county though because i had a pair at tophill low 2 weeks ago. Happy man. Might go to Blacktoft tomorrow for the Spoonbills seeing as i dipped one at Filey a month ago when i decided to drive past the dams to the brigg.

Nice to see a Yorkshire thread that I can contribute too ;)

Took a little drive over to North Cave Wetlands last weekend - my first visit there. Parked up and was greated by a lovely singing Yellowhammer which is always a pleasure. Didn't really have too much time as I was on quite a strict timetable - but also saw Avocet, BH Gull, Blue Tit, Common Tern, Coot, Great Crested Grebe, Great Tit, Jackdaw, Lapwing, Mallard, Moorhen, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Reed Bunting, Sand Martin, Shelduck, Swallow, Tufted Duck, Whitethroat

It's always a pleasure seeing Avocets, so don't really mind that nothing was a lifer for me this time - there's always next time.

Oh ... and I can confirm that Hull is it's own authority while either side is East Riding.

I live in East Riding and work in Hull - two separate authorities

Mal Skelton

come on yorkshire birders their has more of us on this forum,
what are we all doing this weekend?
my self will be doing www.greenwithens.blogspot.com this afternoon hopefully while england are playing it will be free of dog walkers and motorbikes!
tomorrow may go out in east yorkshire faxfleet/north cave/paull holme.

good sight for marsh tit is askham bog or cornillian bay near scarbourgh,

if anyone wants to know were to some moorland birds pm me

cheers

come on lads and lasses we live in the best county

did'nt bother with green withens today went to blacktoft,had a couple of hours this afternoon,but the heat was too much!
anyway
spoonbill 2
little gull 1
wood sandpiper 1
green sandpiper 3
spotted redshank 8
ruff 20+
black tailed godwit 18
cuckoo 1
sparrowhawk 1 female
marsh harrier 1 female
barn owl 1

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 355
I went to blacktoft this afternoon as well, pre footy. Quick hour there to see the Spoonbills (did nothing), Little gulls (an adult [2nd summer?] dropped in as well in summer plumage) which were pretty cool and got Ruff for the year as well. Didn't get the sandpipers as time wasn't on my side getting back to watch the nightmare on telly. But the less said. What time were you there sonic? Morning or PM?

hotspur

i was there from 2 til 5 must of missed you! pics are a bit poor due to heat haze or is it the fact the camera was 17 quid from tesco's!!
what you doing tomorrow hotspur?

not a bad day today started at north cave,greenshank,green sandpiper and 2 turtle doves flew north towards the farm,
next stop faxfleet 2 marsh harriers 1 male bearded tit showing very well, avocet,yellowhammer and a couple of yellow wagtails on the drive down,also saved a juv crow from a water butt. :D
nearly got a photo of the bearded tit but i was too slow off the mark. :-C

Nice to see aYorkshire thread,used to love walking around Bolton Abbey woods then off to Malham or over to West burton,a great county for birding,keep it coming.

pic of saved carrion crow not the least looking grateful!
also marsh harrier both faxfleet this afternoon.

Attachments

• Image1cc.jpg
    Image1cc.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 339
  • Image1mh.jpg
    Image1mh.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 352
Managed to get a couple of hours in at Blacktoft today.

The marsh harriers were performing very well, saw a couple of food passes and had a good close up view of one of the males. Sadly unable to get a picture as the camera was attached to the scope, and the bird was too close to focus on quickly.
The 2 spoonbills were not quite so obliging...they were stood resting on one of the islands at Singleton hide, just visible from the corner of the hide. From the other end of the hide they couldn't be seen at all.
Marshland hide held the best number of waders, but the water level was very low so alot of rock solid mud. There were double figures of black tailed godwits,dunlin singles of greenshank and spotted redshank. Only found 4 avocet but 6 ruff with a single reeve was a bonus. A couple of juvenile little ringed plovers dropped in along with a couple of dunlin.
Whilst at Marshland I also had a good view of a single juvenile bearded tit, sadly no adults about, that I could see.
After a couple of hours I had to give up and leave...the cornflies were driving me crackers....not biting, they'd just covered me from head to foot.

Last edited:
bobwoodcock said:
Nice to see aYorkshire thread,used to love walking around Bolton Abbey woods then off to Malham or over to West burton,a great county for birding,keep it coming.

Totally agree with Bob, great to see how the old home county's getting on, as usual not much in the Huddersfield area...

Love your photo of the spoonbills, Keith. I think that the way they are 'peeping' round the corner adds to the photo. I would rather have that than one where they're just posed in the centre of the picture.

Sandra & Bob

Superb photo of the Spoonbills, Keith.

I'm hoping they will hang around long enough for me to connect this weekend - I can't engineer things around to get there any sooner

Would also love to see the Spotted Redshank - that would be a bonus

Mal Skelton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back