• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little blue heron vs reddish egret (1 Viewer)

bekra

Hi all, This is my first post, and as I am new to birding, I look forward to exploring this forum and learning with and from you all.

The attached photo was taken a couple days ago (early November) near San Luis Pass, bay side, in Galveston. I first thought it was a reddish heron, but as its beak is dark, perhaps it is rather a little blue heron. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your input!

(I hope the attachment shows... otherwise, will re-post)

Bekra

Attachments

• IMG_5533.jpg
    IMG_5533.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 226
Hi, Bekra - Your bird looks like a juvenile Reddish Egret. Dark legs, neck and overall body color are two field marks that stand out to me.

Steve

Looks good for a Reddish Egret and that's a beautiful shot of it.

Hi bekra and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Great! Thank you, Steve, KC and Niels for the information, and the link to the other resources on this site.
Bekra

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back