• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water pipit or buff bellied pipit? Jubail, east Saudi (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
I saw more water pipits yesterday than in the last 5 years put together in a coastal marsh and a public park on the Persian Gulf.

This bird looked a little different and was seen in the park.

Deviating from the typical water pipit seen: its supercilium appears weaker. Its eye ring is stronger. It has more streaking and has a black patch at the side of its neck. These are features my guide says represent buff bellied pipit.

On the other hand, its legs are nearly as dark as the others and I have no experience at knowing whether the streaking and the other features mentioned are strong enough.

All help gratefully received as usual

Rob

Attachments

• pipitb3.jpg
    pipitb3.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 161
  • pipitb4.jpg
    pipitb4.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 161
  • pipitb5.jpg
    pipitb5.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 76
After more research I think I can answer my own question!

I'm confident its a water pipit because the white malar strip isnt broad enough. There is the leg colour and the streaking just isn't strong enough for japonicus.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back