• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 20x60 S (1 Viewer)

spiralcoil

I wonder how are those who have the 20x60S Zeiss feel about this pair of binoculars, after all those years since it's introduction?

One can still see for sale of this model somewhere on the net from time to time.

I wonder how are those who have the 20x60S Zeiss feel about this pair of binoculars, after all those years since it's introduction?

One can still see for sale of this model somewhere on the net from time to time.

A friend of mine got one as soon it was introduced, and he absolutely loves it. Mind you, he's a hardcore birder and often carries it in addition to a pair of binoculars *and* a scope. Optically it's not quite up to the standard of a modern ED or fluorite scope used at 20x, mainly due to CA in my opinion. But the stabilization works *really* well.

Hermann

I always see them using them on the International Space Station. Partly because the stabilization system works well in zero G with no batteries. When you see those astronauts looking down at earth that's most likely what they are using.

I have always wanted to own these or even have a look through them. High quality stabilized 20x? It's like a dream come true.

Nessus,

For much less money the Canon 18x50 IS will help your dream come true. I've tried the Zeiss once, but I think the Canon is better. An article I read where both were reviewed mentioned the stabilization of the Canons being better than the Zeiss. The optics of the Zeiss were better, on the other hand, but there was not much in it.

I spend my days in the open with the 18x Canons and they are amazing each time I need to ID something far off. I took them to twitch the Wall Creeper my birding mate was dying to see. He was scanning the rockface of the quarry with his 32x wide angle Leica scope, and after taking a look through the scope now and then, I was convinced I was better off with the binocular vision of the Canons' much wider field of view (65m/1000m.).

I failed to see the bird though, after spending six hours in the cold. But the Canons were amazing.

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back