• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove sp from the Azores (1 Viewer)

Hi Tommy,
Looking at my FG to the Birds of West Africa it is possibly a Mourning Dove - Streptopelia decipiens. Grey head and pale chin with overall palish grey belly are all I can go by.
If it is, then this species ranges from Southern Mauritania (17 degrees N) and Senegal east through Mali, Niger, Togo Norther Nigeria (where I've seen them) and Northern Camaroons to Chad.

To quote the book - 'The quavering throaty chuckling call uttered by both sexes is a sure guide to identification'. So if you have a chance to hear it this should help ID it.

Mike

Hi all,
I am seriously disadvantaged here:Turtle Dove doesn't(usually) breed in Ireland,and autumn juv/1st-w birds have usually gained lots of "adult-type" scaps and coverts(or at least some).I suppose it makes sense that they should look like this when in full juvenile plumage:something to look out for if I'm ever within the breeding range of the species at the right time of year!
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back