• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Be afraid, be very afraid !

The persistently pestering and preposterously tame male Blackbird at Walsey Hills has, I’ve been told, gorged itself on mealworms. The reason for its behaviour must have been a state of near starvation.

An elusive Acro at Gramboro’ may have been the same one as a few days ago; a probable Reed.

Attachments

• 100pse.jpg
    100pse.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 85
Anyone managed to get any photos of the 1s Montys at Buckenham/Strumpshaw/Berney?

I had another look this afternoon and it is a really interesting looking bird- the dark secondaries in particular took my attention as this shouldn't be a feature of monts (as far as I can tell). I assume it has moulted a lot of its flight feathers but retained the dark juvenile feathers on secondaries. Can anyone comment further on 1st summer male Monts plumage or point me in the direction of a decent resource on the net?
Cheers

2 lovely Spotted Flycatchers by the Dragonfly Pond at Titchwell RSPB today. The Red-backed Shrike still showing at Holme, but can be elusive! Also two Turtle Doves and a Short-eared Owl. Also loads of Cuckoos behind the back of the bungalows, behind NWT payhut.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_8859 crop.jpg
    IMG_8859 crop.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8811 crop.jpg
    IMG_8811 crop.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8838 crop.jpg
    IMG_8838 crop.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Anyone managed to get any photos of the 1s Montys at Buckenham/Strumpshaw/Berney?
Cheers

I was wondering whether this is thought to be one bird? Given the vast distances involved I imagined they/it were two.

Strange question on the Norfolk thread, but whats the best strategy for seeing this bird in Suffolk? (MH shaped hole on my Suffolk list)

I saw it in Suffolk yesterday.

Just park at the south wall car park near the rugby club and walk along the south wall as far as the pumphouse. It has shown well here on the last two mornings.

Quite a long walk tho. You could potentially instead park at Back Lane, Burgh castle and walk out to the pumphouse from there which is far shorter.

p.s I dont have the time or energy for re explaining to you guys why that part is Suffolk.../wink

Good luck

Last edited:
I was wondering whether this is thought to be one bird? Given the vast distances involved I imagined they/it were two.

I would have thought it was quite possible for it to be the same bird. During winter when I do regular Harrier roost counts at Strumpshaw I always see birds that roost at Strumpshaw hunting at Berney. So they do travel far and wide each day, as far as I know the two Monts have not been seen at the same time, but thats another reason for seeing if there are any pics of either bird out there

Golden Orioles - caution

There are several Percy Thrower types out in the field, whistling and fluting their variety of "choo-klee-klooee" hence the erroneous and many reports of heard only. These persons should be swiftly and firmly kicked in the gonads (whilst in the act of mimicry!) so that they can replocate the correct higher pitch and tones of said species. Worst offenders should be asbo'd to remain in their respective counties during the rest of May and not lurk unseen in the borderland riverine anywhere near Suffolk.
Black naped yet Josh?

There are several Percy Thrower types out in the field, whistling and fluting their variety of "choo-klee-klooee" hence the erroneous and many reports of heard only. These persons should be swiftly and firmly kicked in the gonads (whilst in the act of mimicry!) so that they can replocate the correct higher pitch and tones of said species. Worst offenders should be asbo'd to remain in their respective counties during the rest of May and not lurk unseen in the borderland riverine anywhere near Suffolk.
Black naped yet Josh?

A Wise move (Les)t we besmirk boundaries that have been made earlier,
Just the one, Pat - the rest mimicking Crows.

Black naped yet Josh?

Pete Snook does an excellent Golden Oriole mimic but he wasn't out in the field yesterday!;) Reminds me of Ron Longstaff a birder sadly long departed now, who father and I knew had arrived on site at HBO when we heard a Golden Oriole calling in mid-winter!!! He did this every time he visited and fooled several people!

Don't get me involved haha. Just got back, brilliant day. Smashing The Point tomorrow, so be back doing my part for the county.

Kieran
Hi Kieran

Did you 'smash' The Point yesterday? I was thinking about walking BP again yesterday, but thought better of it after already walking it twice this week!

Penny:girl:

I saw it in Suffolk yesterday.

Just park at the south wall car park near the rugby club and walk along the south wall as far as the pumphouse. It has shown well here on the last two mornings.

Quite a long walk tho. You could potentially instead park at Back Lane, Burgh castle and walk out to the pumphouse from there which is far shorter.

p.s I dont have the time or energy for re explaining to you guys why that part is Suffolk.../wink

Good luck

I assume you are joking, but if not then maybe you should refresh yourself with an OS map and where the county border actually is... see the attached, I've highlighted the 'border' (very badly) in red :t:

Attachments

• Norfolk-Suffolk border.jpg
    Norfolk-Suffolk border.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 151

Users who are viewing this thread

Back