• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bocas del Toro birds (2 Viewers)

kittywake

Hungary
Hi Everyone,
I'm new on this forum and I hope to find help with some bird names. In December I've spent some time in Bocas del Toro , Panama, and took pictures of birds. With the help of the field guide (Angehr and Dean) I'm trying to find out what they're called but can't find all of them .
Are their any people who know these birds?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6648.JPG
    IMG_6648.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5998 (640x528).jpg
    IMG_5998 (640x528).jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 98
The first one is a female (immature male?) Shining or Purple Honeycreeper, not sure how to tell them apart. The second looks like an Ochre-bellied Flycatcher.

Cheers

James

Hey nice image of Ochre-bellied Flycacther! That hyperactive understory species is really tough to capture. Female Shining Honeycreeper for the first bird. Female Purple has buff on the throat and face, lacks gray crowns, and is more yellow below. I think Purple also occurs much further east in Panama.

Thank you so much , James and Patrick, for your contribution. I've looked up the Honeycreeper in the Fieldguide: Shiny Honeycreeper also resides in North west Panama, the Purple H. lives in Eastern P. So let's settle for the female Shining Honeycreeper.
Thanks for the compliment about the picture of the Ochre bellied Flycatcher. I'll probably need some more help defining the birds on my pictures.
Anna

Anna, welcome to birdforum! I hope you will explore other parts of the site, such as the gallery ...
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back