• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania toddlercore (1 Viewer)

Another vote for James and Stanley. I hired them in August 2014 for essentially the same day trip described above. One of the best birding days of my life and we have kept in touch since.

Steve

A lovely trip report. I enjoy your way of writing, Larry. It let's me picture the landscape and conditions in a way that really draws me in.

Andrea

Thanks, I think the report could benefit though with some pics like the ones in your report Andrea.

The day before we went to the Lark Plain, we'd gone into Arusha town on the dala dala to book our bus ticket to Lushoto. When we explained our plan to James, he was horrified, and couldn't believe we were going to miss Amani. Him and Stanley were having none of it, and made sure that they set us up with Amani's top local bird guide, Martin, who was to 'sort us out'. We didn't want to just blow out our bus ticket and seeing Lushoto, so we changed our plan to spend 2 nights in Lushoto, and 3 at Amani.

We caught an early bus to Lushoto, mostly passing through cultivated flat lands, including an awful lot of huge agave fields. Little of note was seen birdwise, except the only White-browed Sparrow-Weavers of the trip, and the first White-necked Ravens that we'd noticed so far. As James had warned, the wiggly journey up to Lushoto from the main road passed through almost totally deforested slopes. We found a place to stay in town which had double rooms for about £14. There was a typically deeply hidden Red-chested Cuckoo singing nearby. Red-winged Starlings were seen frequently, and other birds seen around town included Common Waxbill, Augur Buzzard, Steppe/Mountain Buzzard, Collared Sunbird, Hammerkop, and a few Silvery-cheeked Hornbills.

318. White-browed Sparrow- Weaver
319. White-necked Raven
320. Red-chested Cuckoo
320. Common Waxbill
321. SILVERY-CHEEKED HORNBILL

West Usambaras

An effective way of birding in the West Usambara mountains area for specialities, would appear to be staying at a place called Muller's (which is beyond Lushoto and has the endemic nightjar and eagle owl in the garden), and birding something called the sawmill track. This was all a bit beyond the scope of this holiday, but we did spend the morning birding the nearest protected forest patch to Lushoto, Magamba Forest.

Lushoto is quite a touristy town, and there is an organisation in Lushoto called Tayodea, the idea of which is to get the local youth into gainful employment as guides. We met a local young rasta called Elvis who worked for them, and quite liked him, so we arranged through Tayodea for him to pick us up at 7 in the morning with a taxi that would take us up to near the start of the forest. We were then to spend the morning in the forest before walking back to town. Even after negotiating, this cost us $50 including the fee to enter the forest, and an extra £4 for the taxi up. I'm sure you can get a much better deal than this, and if you're really clever you can probably find Magamba forest on your own, though I'd struggle to direct you even from where the taxi dropped us off.

As it turned out, the taxi turned up on time at our place, but with a different guide. It was a steep climb in the car, and we were straight away glad we'd splashed out on a taxi for that bit. We then walked through cleared scrubby patches and plantation for getting on for half an hour before hitting serious forest. In this edge habitat we picked up Red-backed Mannikins, a few flocks of which we were to see that day, Baglafecht Weavers, a Willow Warbler, Fork-tailed Drongos, and a couple of sunbirds including a badly botched probable 'Eastern Double-collared' which I have since discovered is split as Usambara D-c.

The remaining old forest is fragmented within Magamba, but a few sections of trail produced some birds we weren't to see elsewhere on the trip. It was while birding here, with Ronnie toddling about like a crazed loon and yelling pretty much constantly, that I was very glad indeed that we'd chosen Tanzania as a destination, rather than somewhere like Colombia, where almost all the birding would be on tracks through dense forest trying to get onto shy tricky uncommon specialities.

Going on what we could hear, birds here appeared to be at low density, and the first couple of what were bound to be something good, were terrestrial passerines in the dark undergrowth by the track, that quickly disappeared without a hope of me getting a look at them. After what seemed like half an hour of walking in the forest, I seen nothing more than that, and a couple of dull greenish things belting across the track. It was tough.

Then finally a bird stopped for a couple of seconds close by at the edge of the track, long enough to be identified as a Stripe-cheeked Greenbul. Things picked up a bit and a couple of fantail-like White-tailed Crested Flycatchers appeared. We saw about 8 of them that morning. Next was a real gem, the first of 3 Hartlaub's Turacos. A few White-starred Robins were seen and heard, as were Olive Sunbirds, an African Paradise Flycatcher, and a couple of Cinnamon-chested Bee-eaters.

A purple patch by a fruiting tree produced a party of Waller's Starlings, a Moustached Green Tinkerbird, Olive Woodpecker, Eastern Bronze-naped Pigeon, and a Black-fronted Bush Shrike.

The most interesting and most initially confusing bird of the day then appeared, a ground-hugging Spot-throat. I felt a bit better about struggling to work out what family it belonged in, after discovering that taxonomists struggle with it too!

Towards the end of our walk through the forest, we passed under a very tall fruiting tree, that had a fair bit of bird activity in it, even though we were now in the heat of the day. On a different kind of holiday this would have been a great place to spend a couple of hours, but we only had 5 minutes. There were White-eared Barbets, a Green Barbet, Baglafecht Weavers, Hartlaub's Turaco, Stripe-cheeked Greenbul, and a few glimpsed unidentifiables. It was then a pleasant downhill stroll through plantation and cultivation into town for lunch.

So that was it for the W Usambaras. Really tough birding in low bird density tall thick forest. I've since learned that quite a few real goodies are possible at Magamba. Usambara Akakat, Usambara Weaver, and African Tailorbird, to name just a few.

322. Red-backed Mannikin
323. White-starred Robin
324. STRIPE-CHEEKED GREENBUL
325. WHITE-TAILED CRESTED FLYCATCHER
326. HARTLAUB'S TURACO
327. Olive Sunbird
328. WALLER'S STARLING
329. MOUSTACHED GREEN TINKERBIRD
330. Eastern Bronze-naped Pigeon
331. Black-fronted Bush Shrike
332. Olive Woodpecker
333. SPOT-THROAT
334. White-eared Barbet
335. Green Barbet

Last edited:
Congrats on your 5,000 Larry. You are now on about twice my world list. But then, you have put in the time & effort!
Excellent report - and very birdy despite your claim at the beginning.

East Usambaras

Thanks H :t:.

There are a few buses every morning from Lushoto to the coastal town of Tanga, and these all pass through the small town of Muheza, from where it's about 32 km of unsealed road up to Amani Nature reserve in the East Usambara mountains. At Muheza bus station we were met by Martin, who lives in Amani, and is the birder/guide that James and Stanley had put us in touch with. Martin had arranged for us to stay at the IUCN lodgings at Amani, which we thought was great value at about £14 a night per adult including 3 meals a day. There is also a one-off park entry payment for Amani, of about $10 per adult. It also had a great big tractor right by our room, which was fantastic for Ronnie, who constantly demanded to sit in it. It's possible to get a dala dala up to Amani from Muheza for about £2 per person, but we'd just missed one, so were potentially in for a long wait in the heat. We decided to splash out on a taxi, which cost about £20, and got us there much quicker.

The place we stayed was right next to the forest, at about 950m altitude (much lower than where we were in the W Usambaras). It may also be possible to stay considerably lower down, at sigi guesthouse, where a different range of species is possible. In fact the best way to bird this area is to have access to transport of some kind, as different specialities are located in different forest patches several km apart.

After ensuring we'd settled in, Martin headed home, but was to return at dawn the next day and take us out birding all day for $40. We settled in and did our laundry, saw some Colobus Monkeys at the back of our room, and I did a bit of birding in the clearing around the lodge, and a short distance along the forest trail behind where we were staying.

As with Magamba, it was tough getting onto anything, and there seemed to be comparatively few birds calling. A small mobile feeding flock contained Yellow-streaked and trunk-hugging Shelley's Greenbuls, Green-backed Woodpecker, Square-tailed Drongo, and a couple of Dark-backed Forest Weavers. Silvery-cheeked Hornbill was notably conspicuous and common. One flowering and fruiting tree in particular in the clearing was pretty busy, and produced the first of the 3 local speciality sunbirds I was hoping for, Uluguru Violet-backed Sunbird, along with plenty of Olive and Collared Sunbirds. Green Barbets loved that tree too, and were generally common by voice. A flock of Red-backed Mannikins came to roost in the ornamental trees outside the dining area, and it was time to stop for the evening, and wonder what the next day would bring.

336. Square-tailed Drongo
337. Yellow-streaked Greenbul
338. GREEN-BACKED WOODPECKER
339. SHELLEY'S GREENBUL
340. ULUGURU VIOLET-BACKED SUNBIRD

Last edited:
Martin met me at our place at dawn, and we went birding while Nicky and Ronnie had a lie in. Birding with hired guides isn't generally my thing, as it's such an odd relationship for both parties, but I had a great time with Martin. It was quickly apparent that round here he surely was The Man. There wasn't a sound he couldn't name, and I barely got onto anything all day that he hadn't already identified from a glimpse of it's shadow.

We first tried the open area he called the botanical gardens, behind some German colonial buildings a few hundred metres back down the road and off to the left from where we were staying. We soon bumped into a female Pale Batis and a Cabanis's Bunting. On seeing a Fork-tailed Drongo, Martin explained that the ones here are more of a forest bird, and could be a future split.

We stopped for a while where a fruiting tree and adjacent spindly tree were pretty busy. Some white-eyes appeared, not only another potential split (from African Yellow White-eye), but a rare oportunity within this report to revisit the concept of zosteropidological upheaval. African Green Pigeons and Silvery-cheeked Hornbills in the fruiting tree were joined by a superb Green-headed Oriole. The second of the sunbird specialities, Green Banded Sunbird, then appeared in the spindly tree. First a couple of rather drab females, then finally a male. Other birds just popped up as we stood there: Little, Yellow-streaked and Shelley's Greenbuls, Black-backed Puffback, Brown-headed Kingfisher, Golden Oriole, Black-bellied Starling, East African Citril etc. Before we'd left this more open area we also saw a perched Southern Banded Snake Eagle, Purple-banded and Uluguru Violet-backed Sunbirds, a pair of Mombasa Woodpeckers, a Garden Warbler, a Kurrichane Thrush, Spectacled Weavers, Black Saw-wings, Rock Martins etc.

We pottered back at 8am, but Nicky and Ronnie were still asleep, so we started birding the forest trail behind our lodge. A Grey Cuckoo-Shrike moved through the canopy, there was a Forest Batis seen well close to the track, then a very clear descending whistle from up the slope to our left was identified by Martin as a White-chested Alethe. A whistled Imitation didn't bring it any closer, so we clambered up the slope through the forest in it's direction. We weren't surprised when it stopped calling and we hadn't seen it. Martin explained that, like many birds round here, it's a hard bird to see at this time of year, and that if we came when most birders come, it's pretty easy with a tape. We were therefore extremely happy when after we'd given up, and moved up to a smaller nearby track, we flushed it, and it stopped somewhere where we ended up having a great view of it. It was about 9am when we returned, and had breakfast with Nicky and Ronnie.

After breakfast we birded the forest edge track that begins just below the milk collecting station. This will make sense if you come here. We soon found ourselves pursuing another descending whistle into the forest, though apparently this was a Red-tailed Ant Thrush, which of course is what materialised. Further down the track Trumpeter Hornbills sounded like crying babies, and we headed down a side track which produced a juvenile Green Twinspot. This led to an area where Martin sometimes sees what's possibly Amani's most sought after bird: Long-billed Tailorbird. This is bird just found in streamside vine-tangles around Amani, and maybe at another pin-***** on the map somewhere in the north of Mozambique. We had no luck, and it was soon time to return, picking up a small party of Placid Greenbuls lurking in the undergrowth on our way back.

It was time for plan B. Martin rang his mate, and arranged to borrow a motorbike, so that he and I could visit a reliable LBT territory about 5km further along the 'main road', while Nicky and Ronnie hung out at base camp. The bike materialised, and off we rode. We arrived at the site at around mid day, and Martin was distressed to discover that the middle of the birds' territory had been flattened, seemingly by a large vehicle. He tried playback but there was no response, and it looked pretty bad for the birds still being there. We did get a response,but it was a Black-headed Apalis, which I didn't bother tracking down, even though it was fairly close, as we'd heard a few that day, and I figured we'd just bump into one at some point. We went back for lunch instead.

After lunch Ronnie went to sleep, giving Nicky a much needed break. This was our window to have another go at the tailorbird, but when Ronnie awoke we'd have to head back. The next nearest site was about 12km away, and Martin was well aware of the urgency, so off we sped. It felt like a very long and bumpy ride in the heat. After what seemed like forever we hit what looked to me like ideal habitat. I mentioned this, and Martin said yes, but they'd surveyed everywhere and they're not there. So we carried on. He finally stopped and said 'There's a territory round here, but no Kretschmer's Longbill. There's a territory a bit further where there's a Kretschmer's Longbill'. We bypassed this one. After another km or so we stopped. I got off the bike and looked at my phone. There was no reception. This meant we had no time. From the bike we walked about 10m to a vine tangle by a stream. Within 5 minutes Martin produced a pair of Long-billed Tailorbirds and a Kretschmer's Longbill in the same vine tangle, and the trip's only East Coast Boubou back at the bike. Back on the bike, we raced back to base camp, bypassing a motorbike that had crashed off the road, and stopping only for the trip's only Kenrick's Starling. We got back just as Ronnie had woken up.

We spent the afternoon mostly trying to see Amani Sunbird around the lodge, and African Broadbill along the forest track behind the lodge, but had no joy with either. Other birds seen that day included African Crowned and Wahlberg's Eagles, Tambourine and Blue-spotted Wood Doves, Common Waxbill, Stripe-cheeked Greenbul, and Olive Sunbird. We also heard Little Rush and Evergreen Forest Warblers, Fischer's Turaco, and also apparently an Amani Sunbird, though I didn't really clock it's call properly.

Last edited:
more Amani

I was up at dawn the next day, and the start of the forest trail behind the lodge produced 2 frustratingly fleeting views of a thrush that I suspect was Usambara Thrush.

I then decided to bird the track behind the milk collection station, in search of the 4 target birds we'd heard there yesterday. It wasn't until I was returning for breakfast at about 8am that I heard one of them, Evergreen Forest Warbler, singing from a swampy clearing the other side of a stream. This skulker was the one I figured I had the least chance of seeing, but when I found a track looping round the clearing, I thought I'd give it a go. I approached the dense patch I figured it had been singing from, and couldn't believe my luck when even before I started pishing it crept out of cover enough to give me a brief but very clear view of it. It dropped out of sight and a few seconds later was replaced by a camaroptera. Was I going nuts? A few seconds later the Evergreen Forest Warbler appeared again to check me out, and gave me another good view, as if to say 'no silly, it really was me.'

After breakfast our whole family returned to the same track, and began exploring the edge of the swampy clearing, as it had been pretty birdy before breakfast. We were soon distracted by a turaco calling back above the track. We took a small uphill trail and soon came upon a fruiting tree, and what turned out to be a good sized mixed feeding flock. A flash of Maroon, and there high overhead were the Fischer's Turacos, stopping for us to get a good look at these lovely birds.

The flock contained Shelley's and Yellow-streaked Greenbuls, Olive and Collared Sunbirds, Green and White-eared Barbets, Square-tailed Drongo, Black-bellied Starling, Grey Cuckoo-Shrike, and Dark-backed Forest Weaver. Then followed the most frustrating half hour of the trip, when I tried to spot Black-headed Apalis, at least two of which were calling in the flock. The trees were very tall, so even if you were at the base of hem the birds in the canopy were about 100m away. Everything I got onto wasn't an apalis. I tried lying down on the trail and looking straight up to help ease the neck ache. It was really hard to work out where the calling birds were exactly, even to pin them down to the right tree at times.

We had great views of 3 Red-tailed Ant Thrushes at the back of the lodge, and then later in the afternoon Martin came out birding with us, for no guiding fee, and tried to help us find Black-headed Apalis and Amani Sunbird. Again we heard the apalis but couldn't see it, and we had no luck with the sunbird, which can be easy at other times of the year.

Martin organised a taxi to take us to Muheza at 6am the next morning, so that we had a chance of making it all the way from Amani to Zanzibar in one day. He turned up to wave us off and make sure everything worked out as planned. I'd love to go back to Amani again one day, there are certainly plenty more birds to get to grips with in the area, and I'd love to go birding with martin again.

341. PALE BATIS
342. CABANIS'S BUNTING
343. Little Greenbul
344. GREEN-HEADED ORIOLE
345. BANDED GREEN SUNBIRD
346. Brown-headed Kingfisher
347. Golden Oriole
348. Kurrichane Thrush
349. Black-bellied Starling
350. MOMBASA WOODPECKER
351. Grey Cuckoo-Shrike
352. Garden Warbler
353. FOREST BATIS
354. WHITE-CHESTED ALETHE
355. Purple-banded Sunbird
356. Southern Banded Snake Eagle
357. RUFOUS-TAILED ANT THRUSH
358. Trumpeter Hornbill
359. Green Twinspot
360. PLACID GREENBUL
361. African Crowned Eagle
362. LONG-BILLED TAILORBIRD
363. KRETSCHMER'S LONGBILL
364. EAST COAST BOUBOU
365. KENRICK'S STARLING
366. Tambourine Dove
367. BLACK-HEADED APALIS
368. EVERGREEN FOREST WARBLER
369. FISCHER'S TURACO

Last edited:
Glad you made it to Amani

Some really good birds and glad you got the Tailorbird, we were quite lucky with this one and saw it a couple of time in the area near Amani.
We really enjoyed both West and East Usambara's but as you say it really does help to have transport, as while the area around the saw-mill and Mullers in the West and around Amani in the east are walkable there is lots of long walks between places if no driver (even worse when it rains as did when we were there).

Dar es Salaam

Thanks D + S. Hope the report helped remind you of your time there.

The bus from Muheza to Dar Es Salaam took 5 hours or so. I didn't see a lot of note on the way, but it did include the only sightings of one of the birds I most wanted to see on this trip, Northern Carmine Bee-eater. The roadside wires were also bedecked with European Rollers aplenty, and we saw the trip's second and last Zanzibar Red Bishop.

We then caught the 3.45 Kilimanjaro expess ferry to Stonetown on Zanzibar, which takes about 2 hours. As the boat headed to the mouth of the channel, we passed a mass of gulls, terns, and other shorebirds, at a point only about 1km north of the port. Here I saw my first Sooty Gulls, Saunders's Terns and Dimorphic Egrets, though it wasn't until getting to Zanzibar that I had good looks at these species. In the case of Saunders's Tern it was more than a week before I finally had an identifiable view of 2 adults in breeding plumage, among several non-breeding 'Little Terns'. There were hundreds of these terns, and Saunders's is apparently the common one here. There were also Baltic and Heuglin's flavoured Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Common, Greater Crested, and Lesser crested Terns, Sacred Ibis, Whimbrel, and who knows what else. A few Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters hunted over the beach. I hoped I'd have a chance to check the spot out when we returned to Dar Es Salaam.

It did

Thanks D + S. Hope the report helped remind you of your time there.

It did - in fact we were even speculating as to whether you were in same room at Amani as we were in room nearest an old tractor, did it have lots of wooden lockers for storage ?

Sarah still gets annoyed at missing Fischer's Turaco here, a bird we heard loads and which I saw when sitting right outside the room while she was asleep.

Last edited:
Zanzibar

It did - in fact we were even speculating as to whether you were in same room at Amani as we were in room nearest an old tractor, did it have lots of wooden lockers for storage ?

We were in the block between the tractor and the forest track that's at the back right of the clearing. There was a balcony overlooking the adjacent forest.

There was little birding done for the rest of the trip, so most of what we got up to has no place on here. In fact I came close to spending an incredible 12 days in a country that still contained more than 300 possible new birds, without seeing a single one of them! I wonder if this is some kind of record? (Getting put in prison before hitting any birding sites doesn't count!).

Around Stonetown there were a few Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters, Wire-tailed Swallows, an African Broad-billed Roller, Fork-tailed drongo, Black-capped bulbul, and regular offshore Sooty and Heuglin's Gulls, presumed Saunders's Terns, Greater Crested and Lesser Crested Terns, and masses of terns and gulls daily on a distant temporary islet, that would have been fun to check out if that's your bag.

A visit to Jozani reserve in the heat of the day produced very tame Red Colobus and Blue Monkeys, but the forest walk produced no birds except hearing a Green-backed camaroptera. The mangroves there though did produce a Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird.

We spent about a week on the beach at Jambiani, where from our pad on the beach, we could sit and have a beer while watching Crab Plovers, which was quite a treat. The tide came right up to the place, and went out a long way, when a wander out onto the flats also produced Greater Crested and Lesser Crested Terns, (eventually) great looks at breeding plum Saunders's Tern, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Turnstone, Grey, Ringed and Greater Sand Plovers, and several Dimorphic Egrets.

A visit to the weird offshore The Rock restaurant produced the trip's only Peregrine, and a trip to visit international man of mystery, Mike, produced Sombre Greenbuls and Lesser Striped Swallows.

It wasn't until I hauled my sweltering beer-befuddled butt out into the scrub behind our place in Jambiani though that I found an unexpected new bird.

taxo update interlude. Just getting round to updating my list and noticed Common Fiscal's been split, so:

58. Common Fiscal

should actually have been

58. NORTHERN FISCAL

so, whoop de doo.B :)

Ah Zanzibar, we had a 3 week holiday on Prison Island back in 1962. It was a prison before we were there, and again later during independence I think. It was alive with giant tortoises, and we had great fun riding them round the place. Not exactly speedy though. Not sure how many of the tortoises survived the later prison usage. I think there were also Bush Babies on the island. Never saw one. Can't remember seeing any birds either! Not another place I'll have to go back to!!....
Great report Larry, brings back happy memories. On the way there we flew in to somewhere in the Usumbara Mountains in a DC3 Dakota. Dirt runway and tin shack, astonishing....

So Swahili Sparrow replaces Von der Decken's Hornbill as number 5000. Classy. o:D

James

I wondered who'd notice this! (TZ RB Hornbill by the way). Actually, if the Grey-headed Sparrows at Mwanza are Swahili's after all, then at least it's Hildebrandt's Starling.

And Jon that's amazing, I wasn't even born then! You must have been toddling with Freddy Mercury in Stonetown round then too?? You're not allowed to ride the tortoises now, but they're still there. It's a major sanctuary for Aldabra Giant Tortoise, and some are approaching 200 years old I think, and weigh a quarter of a ton. Apparently they're the biggest tortoises apart from on Galapagos.

And Jon that's amazing, I wasn't even born then! You must have been toddling with Freddy Mercury in Stonetown round then too?? You're not allowed to ride the tortoises now, but they're still there. It's a major sanctuary for Aldabra Giant Tortoise, and some are approaching 200 years old I think, and weigh a quarter of a ton. Apparently they're the biggest tortoises apart from on Galapagos.

That's great news, I heard a report that the prisoners ate them!! It was another holiday which my Dad organised - I think that was the time we flew from Nairobi to Mombasa on a Beverly (the big RAF transport plane at the time) Dad took us up to the cockpit and we found the pilots sitting around playing cards!
One other thing I recall was seeing Manta Rays leaping clear of the water!

I went for a wander in the heat of the day on Feb 20th, through the overgrown abandoned plots and scrub behind Hacienda de la Luna in Jambiani, which where we were staying. It was hard going in crocks, on the knobbly sharp dead coral that forms the land round here. I soon picked up Green-backed Camaroptera, Spotted Flycatcher, and a Golden Oriole, and a Pale Batis, Black-bellied Starlings, and a Green Woodhoopoe made me realise that there may well be more here than I was giving the area credit for. I continued my search, picking up African Golden Weavers, and then something that puzzled me for a while in a small acacia grove in a garden that resoved itself into the last lifer of the trip, Eastern Green Tinkerbird.

The area also had Scarlet-chested, Olive, Collared and Purple-banded Sunbirds, Sombre Greenbuls, a White-browed Coucal, a White-browed Scrub Robin, Red-eyed Doves, Lilac-breasted Roller and Blue-cheeked Bee-eater.

On 22nd we visited the afore mentioned Prison Island, and didn't see much birdwise, though the tortoises were very impressive, and a couple of Crab Plovers were seen flying between islets.

On Feb 23rd we took a morning ferry from Stonetown back to Dar es Salaam. We had more luck with seabirds than on the way out, including an adult Masked Booby and a couple of hundred Brown Noddies. Again the point as we approached the port was heaving with gulls, terns, egrets, Sacred Ibis, and waders included a few Crab Plovers. The welcoming committee of Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters had a European Bee-eater with them, but I remained luckless with my constant checking for an out of season Madagascar.

We ended up staying in the guesthouse that's part of the Lutheran church, c200m north of the ferry port. Later that afternoon we went for a walk past the fish market to where the birds all were, but the tide had come in and there were far fewer birds about. We settled by a long smelly waste pipe, which seemed to be a big draw, and there were still a few birds knocking about. In fact it was lucky there weren't so many gulls and terns because the ones that were there were giving me a headache. This is because I'm rubbish at gulls and terns. And this is because in spite of what Nicky might say, I am not a nerd.

And nor will Ronnie be. Because the time will have to come when I have to take him aside for that little chat. You know, the one that goes something like: 'Son. Come here a moment will you because there's something I've got to say. You know when you're lurking down in the subway with your hoodie friends, or when you're spangled on k in the park with your girl/boyfriend, there's something you must NEVER under any circumstances say, don't you? No matter how big a temptation it is, you must NEVER say "It's a second calendar year smicker in retarded moult with retained juvenile inner upper greater secondary coverts, or possibly a hybrid". Or all will be lost, because you will be rumbled as a NERD.'

But as far as I could make out there were several Sooty, Baltic and Heuglin's Gulls, 2 Black-headed Gulls, lots of Lesser Crested, Greater Crested and Saunders's Terns, 2 White-winged Black Terns, a couple of Gull-billed Terns, a Common Tern, and a very grey-rumped, grey-tailed 'common' tern that I suppose might have been a White-cheeked. There was also an Oystercatcher.

Last edited:
and so to finish off...

So the last bunch of additions to the trip list were:

370. NORTHERN CARMINE BEE-EATER
371. Baltic Gull
371b. Heuglin's Gull
372. SOOTY GULL
373. Lesser Crested Tern
374. SAUNDERS'S TERN
375. DIMORPHIC EGRET
376. Greater Crested Tern
377. African Broad-billed Roller
378. Sombre Greenbul
379. Greenshank
380. Grey Plover
381. Ringed Plover
382. Green-backed Camaroptera
383. Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird
384. Turnstone
385. Greater Sand Plover
386. Peregrine
387. Crab Plover
388. Green Woodhoopoe
389. African Golden Weaver
390. EASTERN GREEN TINKERBIRD
391. Brown Noddy
392. Masked Booby
393. Common Tern
394. European Bee-eater
395. Oystercatcher
396. White-winged Black Tern
397. Black-headed Gull

So nearly 400 species recorded, just over 400 if you count established introductions. About a third of them were new to me. And as the words of wise old ornithologist field marshal Wilhelm von Duckworth ring out once again: "It's often not what you see that's interesting, it's what you dont' see", I can't help but observe that there are some notably bizarre omissions. How on earth did I miss Great Egret and Black-winged Stilt for example? Those two, or their counterparts, are normally all over pretty much every trip I've ever done like a rash. Where were they?:smoke:

So I was well pleased with the trip: the birds, and the people were great. But why did it have to be so so hot? On Zanzibar we had trouble sleeping even under a fan it was so hot. I gather we were there at the hottest time of the year, so it may be worth visiting at a different time than we did.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back