• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More birds from Hungary (1 Viewer)

All of these birds were found in Hungary in June 2017.

Attachments

• P1020611a.jpg
    P1020611a.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020174.JPG
    P1020174.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010828-2a.jpg
    P1010828-2a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010639.jpg
    P1010639.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 101
  • P1020181a.jpg
    P1020181a.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 185
the woodpecker is middle spotted - pale unedertail, streaking on breast, head pattern

my first thought too, but pale undertail as good for juvenile GSW, streaked underparts far from clear (just messy feathers), head pattern ok for GSW but strange view from below but above all far to heavy bill for Middle-spotted

more comments most welcome

my first thought too, but pale undertail as good for juvenile GSW, streaked underparts far from clear (just messy feathers), head pattern ok for GSW but strange view from below but above all far to heavy bill for Middle-spotted

Black loral line doesn't reach the bill which favours MSW.

I think the streaks on the flanks are real, and there are a few on the ear coverts too. Also favours MSW.

The white bars on the flight feathers (total 7-8) extend onto the greater coverts (white tips) which should exclude other species, which have 5-6 bars.

The shape of the white scapular patch looks closest to MSW, and also note that it connects with the white barring on the flight feathers & g-covs. More isolated on GSW and Syrian

The head pattern/shape look odd for MSW but perhaps to do with the odd angle?

Last edited:

Agree the bill is far too heavy for MSpW, compare the pic on Opus: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Middle_Spotted_Woodpecker

What about GSpW x Syrian W hybrid, if it doesn't quite match either?

Agree the bill is far too heavy for MSpW, compare the pic on Opus: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Middle_Spotted_Woodpecker

What about GSpW x Syrian W hybrid, if it doesn't quite match either?
That's an awful lot of white in the wing, which usually points to MSW. IIRC I've also seen MSWs (maybe immatures?) with more black extending into the back half or so of the crown. The only feature that doesn't seem to fit is the bill. Couldn't it just be that some of the feathers around the bill base are pulled back or have fallen out, making it appear larger than normal? Just saying.
Maybe a hybrid between the other two species can produce a similar effect in the wing or on the cheeks, I don't know. In that case though, why not a MSW hybrid? Or is that genetically impossible somehow?

MSW or GSW

One might bear in mind that the GSW is far more common in Hungary than the MSW; not to say this means it cannot be a MSW

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back