• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two more from south-east Peru (1 Viewer)

kitefarrago

Slightly better pictures this time. Still late July/early August this past summer.

The first (three images) was taken along the Abra Malaga Road, not too far below the pass (we only birded the upper reaches of that side on that day before returning to Ollantaytambo.

The second (next three images) was taken fairly high on the Manu Road (not too far below Wayquecha Biological Station. I really can't do these furnarids! Maybe I'll pick up more about this group one of these days.

Thanks again,

Andrea

Attachments

• _DSC7913.jpg
    _DSC7913.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC7916.jpg
    _DSC7916.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 43
  • _DSC7924.jpg
    _DSC7924.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 23
  • _DSC2309.jpg
    _DSC2309.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 33
  • _DSC2313.jpg
    _DSC2313.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 34
First looks very like Vilcabamba thistletail (edit: if this is out of range puna would be my second choice). Suggest the second is montane woodcreeper.

Last edited:
Thanks. The repeated suggestion of Vilcabamba Thistletail has made me go back to my photos to check whether I made a mistake regarding the location, and indeed I have. Looking at the photo's metadata again I can now see that this was not taken along the Abra Malaga Road, but instead at the spot where we were specifically looking for the Vilcabamba Thistletail (and the Tapaculo). My camera's date appears to have been out by one, and also the photo immediately preceding these pictures is an Abra Malaga landscape, so I made a wrong deduction about the location. I wish my current camera had a GPS included the way its predecessor did!

I do apologize for this - it was not my intention to mislead anybody (and indeed I misled myself to begin with).

Thanks again,

Andrea

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back