• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (31 Viewers)

“On a tiny marsh (on a tiny marsh)
By a tiny hide (by a tiny hide)
Where the lovely bird (where the lovely bird)
Had a lovely preen (had a lovely preen)
And the last it heard (and the last it heard)
It lived gullibly
Was Guillie Guillie Aukgonefeather Greater Black Back Cley Marsh Next The Sea
Was Guillie Guillie Aukgonefeather Greater Black Back Cley Marsh Next The Sea”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjTmXT58nk

this is probably what the inside of John's head is like, is that Hunstanton?

this is probably what the inside of John's head is like

Too idyllically romantic and ‘biscuit-tin’, for me, Josh.

I haven’t inhabited the world of gingerbread men since I was about 6 !

As for your supposition, try the pic below.

Attachments

• Brain.jpg
    Brain.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 53
Hello Ricky.

Female Marsh Harriers can be very variable. Going by the pale tips to the upperwing coverts this bird is presumably an immature as you rightly suspect. Great pictures!

I wonder if it isn't a young male? I don't recall seeing this head pattern on a female before and the fact that it's eyes are quite pale (albeit not as yellow as on an adult) might mean it's more likely to be a male - males are said to develop their pale eyes earlier than females. The head pattern is more typical of an older male. But yes, both sexes are variable, so I am not certain. Fantastic photos anyway, and nice to see some people are still posting about birds!

I wonder if it isn't a young male? . . and nice to see some people are still posting about birds!

Yes ! Even I do, from time to time.

You’re usually spot on, Dave. Once you’ve pronounced, I tend to accept it as gospel. However, in this case, my first impressions (always a useful guide, I find) were of a female.

Then, I consulted my "Raptors of the World".

I will just mention two features: the appearance and position of the mantle-patch and the breast-patch/necklace. Neither of these should be on a male, Shirley ?

I await the opinions of others, more skilled in such matters, hoping that neither I nor the harrier will be shot down.

Around 35 Scoter were on the sea, off The Esplanade at Sheringham, a little while ago.

Amongst them was at least one drake Velvet.

For some unknown reason, most then took flight, heading west. A half dozen remain, as I post.

Last edited:
Hi folks does anyone have any latest information re waxwings in Norwich? I've got the day off work today so hoping to pop out later. Also if anyone fancies meeting up please let me know. :)

Kingfisher - ringing info

Does anyone have an inkling as to a ringing scheme for these? One was reported yesterday at Cley with a silver (BTO) ring on it. Thanks.

ftj Thanks pal, I have been humming a certain Bygraves theme for the last three days and am going crazy!

Waxwings

Hi folks does anyone have any latest information re waxwings in Norwich? I've got the day off work today so hoping to pop out later. Also if anyone fancies meeting up please let me know. :)

None very recently.

The last were:

28/11/12 eight on Ivy road and one flew west over Opie Street.

21/11/12 ten behind Playhouse & three opposite Nuffield Gym Barrack Street

Thanks

Robin

Hi Jo.

There were a lot of Waxwings around today in general including two in my own village so it might be worth going out on spec around the Golden Triangle / Dereham Road area on the offchance of finding some.

Good luck if you do.

Steve.

ftj Thanks pal, I have been humming a certain Bygraves theme for the last three days and am going crazy!

It’s good to know he’s being fondly remembered on these pages. He only died earlier this year, too, aged 89.

Now, which do we prefer: the kind of rambling reminiscences, pleasant discourse and even literary diversions, which began with an account of the savage disappearance/demise of an alcid, or the rabid slagging-off and concentrated negativity we all too frequently encounter on these pages ?

To return to birds: featured below is the large flock of Snow Buntings at Salthouse Beach car park this afternoon.

Attachments

• 037pse.jpg
    037pse.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 008pse.jpg
    008pse.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 149
I wonder if it isn't a young male?

I am thinking that you may be right. It definately has paler irises. Do females have pale irises at all? Just checked a couple of books and according to the illustrations - no. On the photo of the underwing the base of the primaries and secondaries do show a somewhat grey area. Structually it does appear slighter too. I really do not know so one for the experts.

Last edited:
Yes ! Even I do, from time to time.

You’re usually spot on, Dave. Once you’ve pronounced, I tend to accept it as gospel. However, in this case, my first impressions (always a useful guide, I find) were of a female.

Then, I consulted my "Raptors of the World".

I will just mention two features: the appearance and position of the mantle-patch and the breast-patch/necklace. Neither of these should be on a male, Shirley ?

I await the opinions of others, more skilled in such matters, hoping that neither I nor the harrier will be shot down.

Nice of you to say that, John! But I assure you I am very fallible indeed and make many mistakes, sometimes rather too publicly for my own good.

I'm not 100% certain on the sexing of the harrier and I may well be wrong, however I don't think some semblence of a pale necklace effect on the breast is desperately unusual on males. I don't recall seeing an adult male with a pale mantle patch like Ricky's bird but I suspect it's more a juvenile feature and I'm sure I have seen it present on at least one immature male.

I am thinking that you may be right. It definately has paler irises. Do females have pale irises at all? Just checked a couple of books and according to the illustrations - no. On the photo of the underwing the base of the primaries and secondaries do show a somewhat grey area. Structually it does appear slighter too. I really do not know so one for the experts.

I think a pale iris is ok on an adult female. According to BWP: Adult: "Iris yellow"; Juvenile: "Iris dark brown"; Immature: "Iris in male probably changes to yellow earlier than in female, but exact timing unknown."

All good fun learning anyway, whatever it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back