• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Everest (ED) 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Giorgio,

Wow. That is a huge price difference. Not sure what import duties are for your neck of the woods but it would almost be cheaper to buy US and then have them shipped over. Assuming around a $45 shipping cost for USPS Priority Mail International with insurance. Initial cost would be around $265 US plus whatever the duty costs are.

Pomp,

I think I cropped that image. It may explain the distortion.

Giorgio,

Wow. That is a huge price difference. Not sure what import duties are for your neck of the woods but it would almost be cheaper to buy US and then have them shipped over. Assuming around a $45 shipping cost for USPS Priority Mail International with insurance. Initial cost would be around $265 US plus whatever the duty costs are.

It is certain that one buying Chinabins at some US shops (eagle optics, adorama...) will spend less $ (€) even with a 45$ shipment.
The problem is that as France is in a crucial need of money, the customs put huge taxes on imported products, especially from the US, as our government discovered that loads of frenchies were buying more and more products across the Atlantic.
Basically, if i buy the Bressers for 300$, the taxes i'll have to pay will do me no good, the total including taxes will cost me the same as if i buy the Bressers in France.
I could bypass this buy choosing to be delivered to an Italian or German address, but this a bit too complicated.
Im going to the US this summer so i'll might buy some optics there. Normally NYC and Charleston, Carolinas.

Yes, if i buy approx 300$ the bin (240+50 the shipping), i can have a 100€ to 200€ tax to pay once the product passes the customs.
The import taxes are done on purpose to force you to buy the products in France, that the country do not lose its VAT.

Last edited:
I got the Celestron Granite 7x32 ED today and they are pretty nice looking. Focus is kind of tight and the case is REALLY cheap. You would think that they could afford to give you a decent case for $400.00 but I guess not. The optics are good with a rather big sweet spot as some have said but the edges are really BAD. As Brock has said you can see the "ring of fire" at the edges with these which detracts from the overall image. I made the mistake of comparing them to my EII's. BIG MISTAKE! As usual the porro's blew the roofs into the weeds. The roofs image feels strained while the porro's is just relaxed and perfect. I will be returning these after I compare them to the Bresser's 8x42 tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got the Celestron Granite 7x32 ED today and they are pretty nice looking. Focus is kind of tight and the case is REALLY cheap. You would think that they could afford to give you a decent case for $400.00 but I guess not. The optics are good with a rather big sweet spot as some have said but the edges are really BAD. As Brock has said you can see the "ring of fire" at the edges with these which detracts from the overall image. I made the mistake of comparing them to my EII's. BIG MISTAKE! As usual the porro's blew the roofs into the weeds. The roofs image feels strained while the porro's is just relaxed and perfect. I will be returning these after I compare them to the Bresser's 8x42 tomorrow.

And the Granites are manufactured in?????

Why do you even try to order inexpensive Chinese roofs any more? Everyone already knows what you are going to say.

The focus on the 7x33 Granite I tried was also a bit tight but the other Granites were fine. I assume it's because it's a new model and will take some time to loosen up with use. The size of the sweet spot was very impressive for an inexpensive roof with such a wide FOV.

I don't mind the edges being slightly soft but IMO it detracts from the overall view when you are looking on-axis and you still notice the blurry edges at the extreme edge of the FOV. The Granite's are the worst edges I have seen in a long time. Akin to some sub $200.00 roofs I have looked through. The sweet spot is large but no larger than an EII and then it quickly degrades to fuzziness unlike the EII. It is so hilarious that a 50 year old designed porro blows the latest state of the art Chinese roof with ED glass, dielectric prisms, phase coating, and super spectra coatings into the weeds.I don't understand why they would include such a CHEAP case with a $400.00 pair of binoculars. That case must have cost them all of $2.00 to make.

Last edited:
Because you said they were the Cat's Meow. What's funny is a cheap porro is way better than a cheap roof and a medium priced porro is better than a super expensive roof.

Last edited:

Is anybody really surprised at this?

What's funny is a cheap porro is way better than a cheap roof and a medium priced porro is better than a super expensive roof.

This is what i explained you when you asked me why i don't garbage the Action VII and the Action Ex, that i pictured around the Habicht.
I prefer to use the Action porros instead of 200-400 roofs to go to stadium or outdoor activities with a bit too harsh walking/hiking.
You should be aware that a 400$ roof cannot beat the Eii nor the SE lol.
The Granite seems to be a great pair for beginners, just with their big Fov allowing easier bird spottings.

I got the Bresser Everest 8x42 today. All I can say is WOW! These are the best Chinese binoculars I have ever seen and by far the best value in binoculars around. The whole package is great and everything works. The objective covers work great, the rainguard works good, the strap is nice and the case is great. I really like the clamshell case. It is light and not too big and offers great protection. It has a zipper which seals out the dust and it is just one of the best simplistic binocular case I have ever seen. Now to the binoculars. The ergonomics on these are great. To me the Swarovski EL is the best binocular ergonomically around and I would put this one on par with the EL. Great armouring with an open bridge and excellent balance because it is shorter than most roofs. The focus is smooth and precise and not too hard. The diopter setting is great and the IPD friction is perfect. Just a great package as Frank says. Now to the optics. The optics on these are amazing at this price point. In fact I would put them on par with the Swarovski EL and I would even say that because of the ED glass they are sharper on-axis than the EL. These things have a beautiful BIG FOV. The ED glass definitely takes roof prisms to another level. I compared them to the Celestron Granite 7x33 and I MUCH MUCH prefer these. The Granite does have a slightly bigger sweet spot but it falls off abruptly at the edge creating a "Ring of Fire" or a fuzzy edge that is very noticeable when even looking on-axis. It is really bothersome. The Bresser has almost the exact same size sweet spot and fall off at the edge as the Swarovski Habicht. It is more gradual and never gets as bad as the Granite. I get NO blackouts with the Bresser either. It has perfect eye relief and very nice eyecups that fit perfectly in my eyesockets. These are definitely keepers for me. I find them way more desireable than the Sightron Blue Sky II. If I was one of the big three meaning Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica I would be very, very scared because these vchinese binoculars are very close and getting closer to the alpha's. Frank deserves a lot of credit in finding these and doing all the research he does to find excellent values like these. These binoculars are worth four or five times what they are selling for. I highly recommend these and I would get a pair if I were you before they are sold out.

Last edited:
I got the Bresser Everest 8x42 today. All I can say is WOW! These are the best Chinese binoculars I have ever seen and by far the best value in binoculars around. The whole package is great and everything works. The objective covers work great, the rainguard works good, the strap is nice and the case is great. I really like the clamshell case. It is light and not too big and offers great protection. It has a zipper which seals out the dust and it is just one of the best simplistic binocular case I have ever seen. Now to the binoculars. The ergonomics on these are great. To me the Swarovski EL is the best binocular ergonomically around and I would put this one on par with the EL. Great armouring with an open bridge and excellent balance because it is shorter than most roofs. The focus is smooth and precise and not too hard. The diopter setting is great and the IPD friction is perfect. Just a great package as Frank says. Now to the optics. The optics on these are amazing at this price point. In fact I would put them on par with the Swarovski EL and I would even say that because of the ED glass they are sharper on-axis than the EL. These things have a beautiful BIG FOV. The ED glass definitely takes roof prisms to another level. I compared them to the Celestron Granite 7x33 and I MUCH MUCH prefer these. The Granite does have a slightly bigger sweet spot but it falls off abruptly at the edge creating a "Ring of Fire" or a fuzzy edge that is very noticeable when even looking on-axis. It is really bothersome. The Bresser has almost the exact same size sweet spot and fall off at the edge as the Swarovski Habicht. It is more gradual and never gets as bad as the Granite. I get NO blackouts with the Bresser either. It has perfect eye relief and very nice eyecups that fit perfectly in my eyesockets. These are definitely keepers for me. I find them way more desireable than the Sightron Blue Sky II. If I was one of the big three meaning Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica I would be very, very scared because these vchinese binoculars are very close and getting closer to the alpha's. Frank deserves a lot of credit in finding these and doing all the research he does to find excellent values like these. These binoculars are worth four or five times what they are selling for. I highly recommend these and I would get a pair if I were you before they are sold out.

We are glad that everything works and that it's case has a zipper but what are the specs?

FOV? ER? Close focus? Coatings on Prisms and on Lenses? Number of turns of focus wheel from close up to infinity? The direction it turns? Number of stops on the eyecups?

Bob

Dennis -- leaving aside the fuzzy edges and your obsession with the cases...how would you compare the Granite to the Bressers optically on axis? Sharpness, color balance, contrast, chromatic aberration, brightness, etc? The Granites and the Bressers should have very similar "lineage" as they appear to be from a similar line of Chinese open bridge ED roofs.

Although I know you mentioned the focus knob being stiff on the Granite how would you compare the ergonomics of the two?

Optically on par with the Swaro EL... Hmm....

One of you two (Frank or Dennis) should grab the Alpen Wings ED for sale in the used section. The Bressers looks to be a clone of this same model, and Alpen produces great optics.

On-axis I feel the Bresser's are sharper than the Granites. I compared the Bresser's to my Habicht's and the Habicht's are the sharpest binoculars I have looked through on-axis and the Bresser's were almost as good. They are that sharp with the ED glass. In fact one of the sharpest roofs I have looked through lately. In the other optical areas you mentioned the two binoculars are close. I think the Bresser's contrast was a little better than the Granites. The Bresser's present a more relaxed porro like view with less distortion than the Granites. CA control on both was excellent. They were both very bright and I would say brightness is a tie. Here is how good the Bresser's are. I consider my Habicht one of the best optical binoculars I have ever used and I went back and forth between the two and the Habicht was a little better but not a lot. That is how good they are. Also, I personally had a lot of blackouts with the Granites and I didn't get ANY blackouts with the Bresser's. i can't even say that about the Swaro EL I had. The ergonomics aren't even comparable. The Bresser's to me are very close to the Swaro EL's ergonomics. They are that good. They are ergonomically SWEET. The Granites are not even close in this area. The feel of the Bresser's armour is great. It is hard to describe and the focus is PRECISE and smooth. The quality of these is way,way better than say a Zen Ray. Try a pair. I like the optics better than my Swaro EL's because I got blackouts with the EL. I get no blackouts with the Bresser's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back