• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Notification e-mails not coming (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I had an e-mail notification of a thread update at around 9.40ish yesterday morning and there should have been another within the hour, but it didn't come and none since. The account is otherwise receiving and sending mail normally.

I've changed my e-mail address on BF to an old one (which I hate using as it receives so much spam into it) and notifications seem to be getting through on that one.

It's a Gmail account which is causing the trouble, and I use Thunderbird to read all my emails, I'd made no changes to either. I've looked on-line at my gmail account and the messages weren't there either and I don't see any settings options about handling spam on there.

Any ideas anyone?

Be happy, aren't notifications self-inflicted spam? Thus, your incidental twiddling with settings, albeit unknown to you, has thereby saved yourself from your previously intended twiddlings to receive the notifications. 3:)

LOL trust you Jos!

There's some I need though... doesn't matter about missing out on your thread I suppose;)

It seems when I start messing around with some of the settings then I usually end up with things going more awry than when I just leave things alone!

LOL Larry, I know what you mean, but I hadn't messed with anything. I'd received some notifications, as per normal.

Went out for a few hours and that was it - nothing coming through any more.

I think it was Gmail altering things themselves.

D,
try check your Gmail account online (using a browser rather than a mail client), and when logged in, let the mouse hover over the inbox until it displays "more"; then move down and click "more", and then click "Spam". Most likely, your notifications have ended in there; I think Gmail have changed some settings in their spam filters lately, so for example, an answer from a car rental company I had contacted went into my spam folder. I am a little pissed with them, frankly!

Niels

Thanks Niels

There was nothing in the Spam folder. All we've done is add the various Birdforum identities to my Address book. They'd not got in there, of course, because you don't reply to the e-mails.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back