• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird id help south of spain (1 Viewer)

JennyMK

Hello everyone!

I'm in south of spain near Malaga, and saw these two birds today. I think that the crossbill is either a juvenile common crossbill or a juvenile red crossbill, but I am not sure at all. The small green bird is a total mystery for me: some kind of warbler?

I hope someone recognize them, thank you in advanced!!

Attachments

• crossbill.JPG
    crossbill.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 156
  • crossbill2.JPG
    crossbill2.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 146
  • warbler.JPG
    warbler.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 166
For me Common Crossbill (I never heard of Red Crossbill but range makes it Common) and Chiffchaff could be Common or Iberian but I have no experience with Iberian

Red / Common Crossbill are the same species. Red used to be the North American name for, what was, in UK, Common. In the 1980's we, briefly changed to 'Red', supposedly to unify the names. North America then changed their name to 'Common'. :C Agree with Chiffchaff ?sp.

Hello everyone!

I'm in south of spain near Malaga, and saw these two birds today. I think that the crossbill is either a juvenile common crossbill or a juvenile red crossbill, but I am not sure at all. The small green bird is a total mystery for me: some kind of warbler?

I hope someone recognize them, thank you in advanced!!

In Europe you have Crossbill, two-barred Crossbill, Parrot Crossbill and similar Pine Grosbeak

Regarding the Chiffchaff - if the bird was seen inland and in or not far from a valley with Cork Oaks its very likely to be Iberian Chiffchaff. If it was seen on or near the coast its probably a Common Chiffchaff.

Ib Chiff arrived in breeding grounds (usually directly, not many coastal spring passage birds) over the last month and C.Chiffies have mainly vacated their winter quarters - down here in the Algarve at least - in the last days. Well, at least I'm not seeing them now though there will be some still about I should think.

Of course the song and call is the simplest way to ID these.

Red / Common Crossbill are the same species. Red used to be the North American name for, what was, in UK, Common. In the 1980's we, briefly changed to 'Red', supposedly to unify the names. North America then changed their name to 'Common'. :C Agree with Chiffchaff ?sp.

Nope. We still call it red crossbill. ;)

Thank you all so much for your help identifying 'my' birds, I'm really grateful for your help!!!!! Common crossbill it is, and as I saw the chiffchaff just a few hundred meters from the coast I guess that makes it common as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back