• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cackling geese and hybrid challenge in Fort Collins, Colorado USA (1 Viewer)

Laura G. Young

Hi all --

I came across some interesting geese in November, and would be interested in your thoughts as to what they could be. My guess is 1) Cackling goose or Canada goose x snow goose, and 2) an Aleutian Cackling? Also, I'm pretty sure 3) is a light morph of some sort.

Many thanks,

Laura

Attachments

• DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 231
  • CacklinggoosevariantLauraG.Young.jpg
    CacklinggoosevariantLauraG.Young.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_0381.jpg
    DSC_0381.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 204
Hi Indobirder! Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.

Hum, perhaps a "blue" snow goose -- but what of the dark speckling on the head? :h?:

I agree about the cackling in the third.

Still trying to ID pic number 2......

I'd guess that the Canada hybrid is probably crossed with a Greylag-type domestic goose (Emden, Pilgrim or similar, as opposed to a Chinese goose-type).

Cheers

The pink feet and bill and slim proportions suggest that one parent was a Snow/Ross's Goose, and the other was a Canada/Cackling Goose. I see no evidence of a domestic ancestor. Given the size comparison with the Cackling behind, and the bill proportions, I'd go with a blue Snow Goose x Cackling Goose.

The pink feet and bill and slim proportions suggest that one parent was a Snow/Ross's Goose, and the other was a Canada/Cackling Goose. I see no evidence of a domestic ancestor. Given the size comparison with the Cackling behind, and the bill proportions, I'd go with a blue Snow Goose x Cackling Goose.

I sort of agree. The bill shape at border is curved like Snow Goose and there is a visible grin. The bill is too long for Ross's, although it appears to have a bluish flush at the base. Would one Canada Goose parent fit bill size better?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your further thoughts on this, Corvus, DarkFireFalcon and Andy! I feel much better about not being able to initially identify this hybrid. I'm also leaning towards blue snow goose x cackling/Canada.

Next time I run across a goose like this (as I have from time to time) I'll be sure to take more photos from different angles. While I realize that mixed parentage birds aren't everyone's cup of tea, I find them fascinating.

I don't know that I would personally jump to hybrid on the goose in #1, it looks fine for a normal "blue" snow goose to me. The dark feathers on the neck may not be typical but there is a lot of variation in snow goose morphs and I don't see any structural influence from anything other than snow goose.

Last edited:
In addition to the dark speckling on the neck and breast, note that the tertials are uniform brown, not the black with silver edging that you'd see on a Blue Snow Goose, but just like you'd see on a Canada/Cackling Goose. There's no doubt that this is a hybrid, the only question is whether it's with Cackling or Canada.

I'd say 1 is Canada x Snow (rather than Cackling x) going on size and bill length (and as others have said not a pure "blue" Snow because it's too brown, and also I'd say too Canada-like in structure). No idea about 2 (except that it seems very oddly proportioned to me, but I don't know if any of the "disputed" subspecies between Canada and Cackling typically look like this) but 3 has the proportions of a Cackling and pretty much the same plumage as the "dilute" (I think captive breeders sometimes call them "blonde") Canadas that there are a few of among the feral populations on the canals around Manchester (UK) - see e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/126840895@N05/16476212081/in/album-72157648419201604/

I agree on snow goose x probably cackling,
but please note also a white phase snow goose can produce such a blue phase-like hybrid with a cackling or a canada (or another colored goose)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back