• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D to 7D questions(s) (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I am thinking of selling my 40D in order to fund a 7D. Has anyone made this change ? If so are you still happy i.e. absolutely no regrets ?
I will use it mainly for birds but with nature & general photography in mind.

I know the general spec of the 7D is far superior but I have read some comments (elsewhere) that seem to indicate the high pixel count causes problems.
If it's any use my lenses are 17-85mm 100-400 300 2.8(soon)

Thanks

I kept my 40D as a back-up when I bought my 7D a year ago, but I can say that I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about making the upgrade, and - relevant to your question - I have literally not used the 40D once since getting the 7D. Not a single time.

The high pixel count is not only not a problem, it is one of the best things about it: the amount of detail the 7D can render compared to the 40D (and to be clear, I loved the 40D) is like having a new lens.

Anyone who tries to convince you that more pixels means more noise or worse IQ in some way is talking drivel. The only difference in IQ terms in favour of the 40D is possibly that the 40D has slightly higher dynamic range in the highlights (that's the only - theoretical - downside to increased pixel density), but it's a trivial difference at best, and has never presented any issues in the Real World.

Nope, absolutely no regrets here, David. The 7D is better than the 40D in every single way that matters to me.

I kept my 40D as a back-up when I bought my 7D a year ago, but I can say that I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about making the upgrade, and - relevant to your question - I have literally not used the 40D once since getting the 7D. Not a single time.

The high pixel count is not only not a problem, it is one of the best things about it: the amount of detail the 7D can render compared to the 40D (and to be clear, I loved the 40D) is like having a new lens.

Anyone who tries to convince you that more pixels means more noise or worse IQ in some way is talking drivel. The only difference in IQ terms in favour of the 40D is possibly that the 40D has slightly higher dynamic range in the highlights (that's the only - theoretical - downside to increased pixel density), but it's a trivial difference at best, and has never presented any issues in the Real World.

Nope, absolutely no regrets here, David. The 7D is better than the 40D in every single way that matters to me.

Keith
I respect your advice so thanks.
I have just posted the 40D as a 'tentative sale' @ £400 so will see what happens.

My friend made the switch with no regrets more AF points and better autofocus tracking makes it a good camera for BIF`s.

Steve.

Like Keith has said, the high pixels count on the 7D is one of its main strength as it gives so much detail. I also still have the 40D but the 7D is so much better especially for bird photography.Also the AF sytem is so much better. And by the way, I consider the 7D to be about a stop better than the 40D as far as high ISO noise is concerned. Certainly no regrets from me.

Kept my 40D as backup.
The only disappointment, not regret, with mine is, I don't see any improvement over the 40D when It comes to noise reduction on higher ISO.
But improvements as mentioned above with improved focusing system etc are definitely a big improvement.

I made the same move and have the 40D as backup but have never used the 40D since. The 7D helps a good lens to really shine, not that it makes a less stellar lenses worse but shows up the difference. The 7D is a superb camera, I have never regretted the move.

Another vote for the 7D for the same reasons as Keith, Roy, Rob and Mike.

I have a 40D & 1D mkII. Since I got the 7D the other two bodies haven't seen the light of day.
I haven't tried a 1D mkIV but I suspect that the 7D is probably Canon's best body for bird photography to date.

My 7D coped with +44C in Samburu in July and -17C in Perthshire a couple of days ago. It has also coped well with cold winter rain without protection (I'm a wee bit hashy with my gear :eek!:).
The autofocus & focusing options are excellent whilst the high pixel count is not at the expense of image quality (though the camera performs best at slight over-exposure on high ISO settings).

Get the double battery grip as it greatly extends battery life in cold weather and gives the camera a good chunky feel that aids handling.

The only disappointment, not regret, with mine is, I don't see any improvement over the 40D when It comes to noise reduction on higher ISO.
I've destruction-tested the 7D with regard to noise compared to the 40D (which is no slouch itself) and I can honestly say that - well converted and processed, and with the file views equalised (ie, not pixel-peeping at 100%, which automatically disadvantages cameras with more pixels) - the 7D at high ISO improves on the 40D by about a stop: I get results at 6400 ISO very easily from the 7D that I'd be happy with at 3200 ISO from the 40D after some effort put into getting the best out the 40D file.

And the 7D doesn't have the problem with high ISO pattern noise that sometimes manifests itself in 40D files.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder;200033 And the 7D doesn't have the problem with high ISO pattern noise that sometimes manifests itself in 40D files.[/QUOTE said:
Keith
Nothing to do with your actual comment........I just saw the time of it.....7.00 this morning :eek!: I'm not out of bed at that time!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back