• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-throated diver? (1 Viewer)

Bish

Is this a Black-throated diver?, I spotted it yesterday afternoon on the River colne at Brightlingsea

Regards Bish. :t:

Attachments

• IMG_4341 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_4341 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 254
Yep, I think so. Good bird for Essex: well done!

Given that it was obviously showing well to get photos of that quality, any chance you could give some more details of where you saw it? (I know that it will probably wander as the tide height varies, but a starting point might be useful for others to look for it.)

Bish said:
Is this a Black-throated diver?, I spotted it yesterday afternoon on the River colne at Brightlingsea

Can't see what else it might be. That's an absolutely cracking find! Only one or two a year for the county and I think others will want to go look for it as Dave says. Very well done! I believe the county recorder should be notified.

Graham

dbradnum said:
Yep, I think so. Good bird for Essex: well done!

Given that it was obviously showing well to get photos of that quality, any chance you could give some more details of where you saw it? (I know that it will probably wander as the tide height varies, but a starting point might be useful for others to look for it.)

Thanks for the confirmation

As for the picture I thought it was poor as the bird was a long way off, I was using A Canon 30D 500mm & 1.4x extender

The location was on the River colne at Brightlingsea opposite the Fingringhoe wick nature reserve at about high water 14.10

Looks like a Black-throated Diver to me too. That is a good find and should be reported to the county recorder.

Many moons ago I used to live in Essex, but I don't remember it being quite as rare as one or two birds a year. Perhaps there has been a decline in wintering numbers in the last ten years?

In the late 90's 1 or 2 were present every winter on the Blackwater, but did make it across to the Colne, and could be seen most easily from Cudmore Grove, sometimes West Mersea or Colne Point.

Ex-Essex Boy

Black-Throated diver still present this afternoon on the River Colne at Brightlingsea at 15.14-15.50 about 1/2 a mile east of Fingringhoe Wick NR

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4362.jpg
    IMG_4362.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4363.jpg
    IMG_4363.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4381.jpg
    IMG_4381.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Nice one Simon: great photos, leaving no doubt about the ID. Might even go looking myself this weekend if I'm heading that way.

Bish said:
Black-Throated diver still present this afternoon on the River Colne at Brightlingsea at 15.14-15.50 about 1/2 a mile east of Fingringhohoe Wick NR

1st winter plumage

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back