• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment? (1 Viewer)

shu

Hello,

could someone give me a list of all the equipment a bird watcher would use. I need it for an asingment i'm currently doing and I know nothing about Bird watching.

Thanks

Depends on how keen you are.

1. Most would count binoculars as the absolute minimum if you are going to be able study and identify birds with any degree of accuracy. 8 or 10 times magnification is the most common.

2. In order to identify birds, the vast majority will have a 'fieldguide' with all the birds likely to be seen and information on key features etc to help identify them. If you get keen, then the amount of books tends to grow and I have bookshelfs full of them.

these two are the most basic requirements but...

3. If you get keen, then a telescope will be another item - bigger magnification but you also need a tripod to mount it on and keep it steady.

3. A note book helps to keep a record of the birds seen and also write descriptions of anything that was unusual or needing identification at a later date. Many birders submit their records to groups and conservation bodies to aid knowledge, so recording what seen in a notebook is vital.

4. Clothing makes a difference - warm, dry and not likely to frighten the birds. Muted colours often best. Walking boots etc also

5. Camera equipment is increasingly common. Digital cameras allow the birder to use the camera atached to the telescope to take high magnification photos of birds. This is called digiscoping. Other birders have an SLR camera and variety of lenses.

6. A bag to carry all of this in is useful. I use a camera backpack.

7. Some birders like to see rare or unusual species and there are easy ways to keep abreast of where rare birds have been seen. Birders who see a rare bird phone the news to information services who then distribute this to other birders who subscribe to the service. This could be via the internet, a pager or a mobile phone.

Assorted other stuff includes lens cloths, batteries etc for the camera, the list could go on and on...

Hope this helps

Matthew

Equipment

shu said:
Hello,

could someone give me a list of all the equipment a bird watcher would use. I need it for an asingment i'm currently doing and I know nothing about Bird watching.

Thanks

Hi,

how much You want spent ?
Urgently needed is bino ( not cheap one for 30 Euro, which is not worth even 30 Euro ). Good price performance should have Docter ( 30 years guarranty ), which is a long traditional bino producer from Jena.
Guide book ( I use a book from author Svensson ).

A camcorder could help You, because You can see later how move the birds and You hear the voice.
Alternativ is a digital camera, e.g. for identifying birds ( birdforum ).

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back