• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New nature reserve soon to open! (1 Viewer)

Just outside deal kent. Great news as its only up the road. It opens officially in may. I'L be able to cycle there in the evening. I was thinking about doing a weekly report to see what turns up through the year, would that be better posted in the local section? Its situated on the betteshanger slag heaps from the Pit days, a lot of money has been spent on it with walks and a cycle track. There should be a lot of stuff seen there, as it has a good clean dyke system and a smallish pond. Iv a feeling i'll be there a fair bit, especially in the evenings when im trying to escape the soaps. Years ago i walked down there when it was still wild, and saw 6 green woodies together on the ground and saw kestrels nesting under the old bridge, sadly the bridge made way for the new roundabout. But they done a good job by the sounds of it.

michaelmacey said:
Just outside deal kent. Great news as its only up the road. It opens officially in may. I'L be able to cycle there in the evening. I was thinking about doing a weekly report to see what turns up through the year, would that be better posted in the local section? Its situated on the betteshanger slag heaps from the Pit days, a lot of money has been spent on it with walks and a cycle track. There should be a lot of stuff seen there, as it has a good clean dyke system and a smallish pond. Iv a feeling i'll be there a fair bit, especially in the evenings when im trying to escape the soaps. Years ago i walked down there when it was still wild, and saw 6 green woodies together on the ground and saw kestrels nesting under the old bridge, sadly the bridge made way for the new roundabout. But they done a good job by the sounds of it.

Sounds good. Do you know who is running it and what it will be called?

Hi chris

The reserve is called Fowlmead country park, it was made using £18.8million and planting 100,000 new trees. Apparently the bike track is 3.5km long, hopefully it wont be too close to the walking areas. The project was done by South east england development agency(SEEDA). I cant think what must have cost that much money mind you, it must be a big project. A picture in the local paper shows either a pathway or the cycle trak going past part of the water system, you can see some of the new trees from the car park where i work, it looks like they have planted the whole of the slopes of the slag heaps. The article in the paper says , rambling, jogging, horse riding, cycling, BMXing and bird watching will be on offer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back