• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Battery problem 40 and 30D (1 Viewer)

Jay23

My canon battery charger tells me the batteries are fully charged, my 30D can see a little bit of charge in them, the 40D wont even wake up. Is it the batteries (canon, not generic) or the charger? Anybody else experienced something like this?

Chris,

I have also had the same battery/charger problem you have experienced. Unfortunately, I do not know the cause. I have eight pairs of batteries, both canon and other brands. I have all three types of Canon chargers. I have experienced the problem with all types of batteries and chargers.

My solution (right or wrong) has been to clean all contacts gently with a typewriter eraser, hold loose fitting batteries securely to the chargers with an elastic band, and ignore the charging light. I just keep them on the charger for two to three hours.

Hope you get a better answer than this, as I would like to know what is happening as well.

Dick

Hi John Here When Charging Batteries, Using Canon Chargers Three Stages, Are Carried Out, Taken That Your Using Flash, When, Taken Your Pictures .the Red Light Will Flash For About Twenty Minutes Then It Starts Flashing About Sixteen Minutes Faster .then It Will Stop Dont Remove The Batteries Leave, Them In The Charger For One More Hour To Fully Charge That Will Last For About 100 Bursts For Non Flash Photos Even More Hope This Helps Part Charged Batteries When New Needto Recharge Fully After Three Hours

Last edited:
Dont Ignore The Flashing Light Warning If You Keep Trying To Over Charge The Batteries Will Be Damaged And If You Put An Over Charged Battery In To Your Camera And Switch It On It Will Burn The Circuits And Damage Your Charger You Might Get Away With It In The Short Term But Gradual Battery Failure Will Happen Hope This Is Of Help

Bought a new charger. Problem almost solved: Turns out the 'generic' batteries at a tenner a time are no longer holding any charge, whereas my Canon batteries are fine (with the new charger). This has left me pondering the role of the generics. Is it possible for a substandard battery to damage the charger? Come to that, the camera? Would I have experienced this problem if I had stuck purely to canon batteries? I'll be interested in any opinions and/or experiences anybody may have. I'm certainly going to think hard about how to replace my dud generics.

hi john here when you spend£500 plus on a new camera and lenses from top makers ie canon /nikon using cheap batteries are asking for trouble in twenty odd years all products i have bought off the shelf from canon and nikon have never gave me problems or repairs if you stick to quality and dont drop batteries they crack like lead in side a pencil holding a little charge then stopping and starting when cold hope this helps

Problem with Li-ion batteries is that they're dangerous if overcharged and never work again if totally depleted, so they have electronics built into batteries to prevent either condition.

It's my belief that in order to monitor the charge a poor connection may switch off the charging circuit - as suggested, cleaning the contacts and ensuring a good fit in the charger may solve

Then of course there's the danger of damaged cells short circuiting in spectacular fashion (as they will release their charge instantly - hence the potential fire hazard). Finally there's the limited life whether used or not - their life begins the day they leave the production line (and last for 2-3 years) so not much shelf life!

Ironically, Lithium batteries have superb shelf life (10+ years), excellent temp performance (down to -20 C), are very light and last far longer than alkalines - but aren't rechargeable. Perfect as emergency backup batteries if you have the AA holder fitting

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back